Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsg47

A new fruit tree problem

mrsg47
11 years ago

Hi all, It is now Dec. and walking through my young orchard yesterday, I noticed what looked like bacterial canker, out of the clear blue on my Italian Plum/Prune, and two Mirabelle de Nancy. On the Mirabelles on one young trunk it looked as if the tree were exploding. What the heck is that?? Believe me these trees are cared for. I spray, mulch, remove mulch for winter,(they are on more a schedule than a ten year old child! Not a sign of this all spring, summer and late fall. This has happened within the last two weeks at best. Knowledge please. Mrs. G

Comments (11)

• theaceofspades
    11 years ago

If there are explosions started on all three trees then it is probably black knot. A photo would help to be sure.

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

Black knot has a very distinctive look to it so it should be easy to recognize. If there are no black gnarly bits it is not black knot and is probably canker - sometimes cankers can disfigure the bark.

Scott

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Its canker for sure. But why now? I've had black knot on my Montmorency cherry one spring. Its not black not. What do I do? Thanks Ace, thanks Scott.

• theaceofspades
    11 years ago

If the three trees are less than one year old get them replaced. Bacterial canker is rampant in the Raintree Nursery area because of the cool mist climate.

I have had just one bad case of bacterial canker on a stressed Apricot tree. I transplanted the tree three times! I was going to chop it but I wanted to get experience so I treated the canker with copper sprays. Now it does not ooze and the bark is becoming normal as the tree grows. Your trees will out grow it or die. But it could spread so be careful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bacterial canker

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ace. Yesterday I took out my trusty 'exacto' knife and peeled back a tiny piece of bark. There was a 'bump' underneath the bark but it was still very bright green and healthy looking. I gave the small area a spray with copper. It has been rainy, foggy and damp. Today is a dry day, so I think I might give a few other trees a bit of copper too. Many thanks,Mrs. G

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

Canker kills by girdling. Most cankers don't wind up doing this and a healthy tree will wall it off and callous over the wound in time. Are trees on myro or something like St. Julian? The dwarfing rootstocks can be problematic when facing this kind of problem because tree vigor is your primary ally.

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi H-man they are all on dwarfing stocks. The italian plum is five years old, the three mirabelles just went in this past spring. The four year old peach has been problematic from day one (it arrived diseased but I was too 'new' to all of this to recognize the signs). My trees look like they are trying to 'wall off' the bump that looks like a coffee bean with thicker bark. But they are oozing a tiny bit. Thanks Mrs. G

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

Plums on dwarfing rootstocks are problematic in the northeast. Commercial growers have not embraced them at all and nurseries that sell to them usually only offer plums on Myro.

I've had good luck with Citation (which adams c. uses occasionally) but never use St. Julian, which seems to be the one most used by West Coast nurseries. Seems like I ordered something on St. Julian years ago but it didn't survive. I don't know what this all means to your situation but I hope your trees survive. I know you've been enjoying your It. plums.

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, three are on Kyrmsk 1. I do have one Bavay on Citation. It never stops, does it. Thanks H-man, Mrs. G

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

More like a steep learning curve where it does get easier but there is always another problem looming. A businessperson is always trying to make money in a world where it seems everyone wants at least a piece. In the natural world fruit is money. Life is problem solving. When things go smoothly time goes too fast.

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    11 years ago

H-man, those are pretty wise words and all happen to be true. Thank you for all of your help, Mrs. G