Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harrow Sweet pear scion source?

Posted by PersianMD2Orchard none (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 11:20

Hi everyone, was wondering if anyone knows where to find some wood for this?

Sounds like a good combo of disease resistant and fruit quality.

Cummins has trees but no scion. Corvallis doesn't have it available. I have never contacted Richard Fahey @ Catholic Homesteading Movement, but I figured he may be some one to try since he's in NY?

Many thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harrow Sweet pear scion source?

I might have some, would need to go look.
Bob Purvis used to have it as scionwood

o

The variety is still under patent so distribution of wood is not legal- that's probably why wood is not available.

o

Didn't this came up last year in discussing this variety here on GW?
I thought that it was you Harvestman that was lamenting the slow bearing of pears often letting the patent run out on good varieties; so that the folks doing the work were not being fairly compensated for their efforts (all of which I agree with)
I remembered many of the harrow series being used as example....shows why I shouldn't trust my memory!

o

I almost offered some wood but checked the ACN catalogue on-line and they are still charging a royalty for Harrow Sweet. Wish there was a way you could just send the breeding program a few bucks and graft away.

o

How does the patent thing work? I have about 300 trees in my orchard most of witch I paid the patent on. When I am in grafting mode I graft spicific trees and usually have 50 or so scions left. I wander in the woods and along fence lines and quick graft till I am tired of it. Some of the grafts from 98 and 99 from my 80 year old orchard are doing great with no spray or pruning. Can I do the same with some of the newer resistant trees?

o

Raven,

Fruit tree patent from 1995 to present will expired in 20 years. Any patent before 1995 will only last for 17 years.

Tony

o

The intent of the law and the manner it is enforced, I believe, is to stop commercial growers from topworking or setting out their own grafted trees of a patented variety in a commercial setting, although I'm sure the relatively minor royalties received from home growers isn't something just to give away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here