Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jose_albacete

Scion wanted for Black Velvet apricot

jose_albacete
9 years ago

I want two or three cuttings for graft, of the Black Velvet apricot . I can send cuttings of many varieties of fruits of the best European nurseries, or pay postage.

Best Regards

Jose

Comments (10)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

Jose:

Importing graftwood from Europe is illegal. Don't send your stuff over here. We have already spent hundreds of millions fighting plum pox that probably came from Europe via cuttings. Don't need it again.

Canada spent $180 million trying to eradicate plum pox and failed.

• jose_albacete
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello fruitnut.
    I indeed know the problematic of the Sharka virus (fortunately my province is free from this problem).

And I fully understand the concern that you can have in the United States, for the expansion of this disease.
    Spain is struggling firmly to eradicate this problem ( In Spain are being developed many varieties resistant to this virus).

If I send any cutting to the USA, will be a fruit tree certified virus free.

But for everybody's tranquility , I'd prefer not to send any cutting to exchange (I am a responsible person, and of course I respect their advice ,I have spent many years reading their contributions in the gardenweb forum and I think you are a wonderful person).

But I would like to have the variety Black Velvet Apricot. so if any of you could send me some cuttings, shipping costs would be on my own.

Sorry for my English (isn't very good)

Best Regards
    Jose

• waiting_gw
    9 years ago

The Black Velvet apricot tree is a proprietary variety owned by Kingsburg Orchards. They may license other farmers to grow it but if so I'm sure they sign strict non-propagation agreements.

Your English is fine, better than most California residents.

• milehighgirl
    9 years ago

Are you able to acquire the fruit in Spain?

What are the regulations about import/export of seeds, anyone know?

• jose_albacete
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello again boys.

As Jack The Ripper said " We are going by parts "

Waiting, effectively the variety of apricot Black Velvet has patent.
    I do not know exactly how this legislation in the United States in this aspect , but I know as it is in Spain .
    Here the patents fruit , are controlled by " GESLIVE " .

http://www.geslive.com/

It is a subsidiary company of the National Association of Plant Breeders' (ANOVE), which provides professional services management, inspection, technical assistance, consulting and advice and legal defense to the breeders and owners of industrial property rights on plant varieties.
    And precisely I have a good friend working there

Here the concern focuses on the irregularities commited by the nurseries and farmers .

Some examples:

- The owners of the fruit tree nurseries buy a fruit variety with patent (eg the Pink Ladyî apple), they multiply this apple by thousands of plants, and sold under another name without patent (eg apple Andrea)

- Farmers, who have a plantation of several hectares land, of one fruit variety with patent and do not have invoice to demonstrate that the royalty is paid to the breeder ( i.e. they bought the fruit trees fraudulently )

This is worrying and criminal , but Geslive do not pay much attention to a one fan of fruits trees , that grafted one fruit tree , of one fruit variety with patent, for family consumption (attention I said " ONE " fruit tree of each variety), in this sense I agree with this policy.

Well having said that, it is the now time to milehighgirl..

milehighgirl If you're referring, if the Black Velvet Apricot is available in Spanish supermarkets, the answer is forthright "NO"

milehighgirl you question if I know the regulation for export / import of seeds.

the Spanish legislation is this

http://www.gesviv.com/files/08072013134233_Manual%20importacin%20semillas%20y%20plantas.pdf

But is of little use to us in terms of fruit trees, because we all know that sexual multiplication of a fruit tree ( i.e. by seeds ) , it makes little sense for the loss of genetic load ( this are things of Mendel's laws of hahahahaha ).

Well boys, do not stray from the subject.
    Please someone has two cuttings of the Black Velvet apricot ,are for grafting only one tree for family consumption , and I run with the cost of shipping.

Best regards
    Jose

• waiting_gw
    9 years ago

Jose, what I was implying is that the trees are not readily available here and anyone who does have them would have signed a non-propagation agreement and would not send you cuttings.

gary

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Yes, only commercial farmers would have it, not home gardeners. At least not yet. This seems to be a trend in recent years. But I see many home growers do trade with one another. Most of us though like to keep it legal. We trade fruit where the patent has expired. Sometimes we are forced to as it is unavailable any other way.
    I would agree chances are about zero to none that you will obtain it.

• milehighgirl
    9 years ago

I was asking about the seeds because it would be better than nothing. I have saved seeds of it myself with plans to propagate them and hopefully find a good progeny. You simply will not be able to find scion at all, as even here in the U.S. it is not available. This fruit is without-a-doubt the best store-bought fruit I have ever eaten!

• itheweatherman
    9 years ago

Black velvet apricot is patented as "sweetcot," patent number 15652. It is a cross between an angeleno plum (seed parent) x an unknown apricot (pollen parent). It is owned by Bradford Genetics and marketed by Kingsburg Orchards as " Black Velvet Apricot."

Milehighgirl,

If you plant the seeds, most likely you wont get the 50/50 hybrids. You probably end up with trees that are 3/4 plum or a 3/4 apricot. Well, that depends on what the farmers use as pollinator, they either use a plum or an apricot.

Oh, have you tried Crimson Velvet apricot, yet?

They are way better than black velvets.

• waiting_gw
    9 years ago

Thank you for that clarification.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor