Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will my Asian Pear lose its leaves?

Posted by brownmola Southern CA (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 11:48

Hello, I have an Anna Apple tree that keeps its leaves year round and we end up getting two crops of fruit from it per year. I have a newly planted Asian Pear and was wondering if the same thing will happen with the Asian Pear?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will my Asian Pear lose its leaves?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 12:05

brownmola:

I'd be pretty certain your Asian pear will lose it's leaves. Mine drop theirs before normal apples so are already on the ground. My apples still have most of their leaves after a 23F freeze several weeks ago. The apples will all drop their leaves in the next month unless it stays very mild.

o

Thanks fruitnut. The reason I asked is because my Anna Apple tree has never lost its leaves in the 4 years it has been in my yard and I usually get 15-30 apples from it twice a year. It usually doesn't get below 45 or 50 degrees where I'm at. I'm hoping that the Asian Pear will do the same as my apple tree.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 18:27

brownmola:

The Anna needs almost no chilling. Most other fruit trees need at least some. If you are so warm that the pear doesn't drop it's leaves it probably won't get enough chilling to bloom properly.

Most fruit trees are the same way. You want them to lose their leaves. In the tropics they sometimes strip off the leaves to aid blooming.

o

Thanks so much! That is really good to know. I really appreciate all your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here