Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
borik_gw

strawberry leaves turning brown, Please Help...

Borik
11 years ago

Hi there,

I am complete newbie, and my strawberry plants leaves started to turn brown, i started a tread in Garden Clinic

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pests/msg1223373332054.html?3

and it was suggested that i should start a treat hear.

I Planted about 3 weeks ago, and it was doing great but now its seems that leaves started to get Brown on the edges...

I used "miracle Gro potting mix" and tap water.

Please any advise is welcome.

Comments (6)

• ltilton
    11 years ago

These plants are inside? Did you transplant them from runners, or bare root?

The soil looks dry to me. But the crown looks healthy.

I would try keeping the soil more moist, cutting off the browning leaves and seeing if the problem spreads.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

What is it in? Looks like a shallow dish. Is that so? Does it have drain holes? And they do look dry. Strawberries are hardy and being indoors in winter in warm dry air will not agree with them.

• dmtaylor
    11 years ago

Plant them outside and let them go dormant over winter. The rain will take care of them. In summer you will want to water them every day or two, to keep the soil quite moist at all times but not soggy. In winter it does not matter because they'll go dormant, outside.

• Borik
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi All,

Pot is inside, on my window, and contains about 4 inches of soil, i have drilled few holes in bottom.

I don't know what i transplanted, it had leaves and roots and everything else.

Should i replant it outside, or just move the hole pot outside and let it go dormant? It about 30F - 50F in NYC right now...

Thank you everyone for taking your time and replying, i am new to it, but want to do everything i can to make it grow.

Borik

• ltilton
    11 years ago

4 inches isn't nearly enough soil. You need a much deeper pot if you're going to grow strawberry plants in containers.

Strawberries need to be well watered at all times, but a live transplant like this especially needs moist soil. If you do plant it outside, you'll need to water it until the roots establish and it goes dormant. Right now, it's still got tender new growth. Mulching with something like straw will help protect it and keep the soil moist.

• dmtaylor
    11 years ago

I would think 4 inches of soil is good enough. Strawberries have very shallow root systems. However, the soil looks very dry on the picture. I think that is your issue. If kept indoors, you need to water it at least every couple of days, and ensure the soil is always moist, never dry.

I would plant it in the ground, and not just leave it in a pot outside. Put it in the ground, water it, cover with straw or mulch, and you're done until next spring as it will simply go dormant. In fact I just did this myself in November with about 35 new strawberry plants. Next season we'll see how successful it is. But it's worked for me in the past, at least with one plant (not 35!).