Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kendraschmidt_gw

Can I bring Potted Blackberry Indoors?

KendraSchmidt
11 years ago

I have a few Blackberry plants that are still not in the ground yet and it's winter time and very cold. The plants are just in plastic containers and sitting outside. I want to bring them inside while they seem to be dormant and store them in the basement but there's no sunlight there. Is this possible and safe?

I've done this for my Fig tree and it seems to be just fine. Is the same doable for a Blackberry plant in a pot?

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

hey kendra...

where are you????

are they hardy for your zone??? .. what is the latin name for your plant???

a fig is a semi-tropical plant.. it has to be protected ...

blackberry probably arent .. so they would do best outdoors ...

what is cold to you.. is irrelevant to a zone appropriate plant ...

how big are the pots they are in.. and again .. where are you..

and those 2 facts will get you a precise answer ...

of all the things in the world i would consider protecting from cold.. bramble is not one of them.. lol ... but you never know.. more facts please ...

ken

• KendraSchmidt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm in zone 8a. I don't know the latin name for the plant, all i know is that it's blackberry and the pots are very small, probably one to 2 quarts, the most. :(

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    11 years ago

Kendra:

In that small a pot and your zone, I'd bury the pot in the ground until you can plant. Best planting time is now thru February in our zone.

• larry_gene
    11 years ago

Putting them in the basement for a few weeks is fine, but don't let them dry out entirely. If they would be out-of-sight-out-of-mind there, that could be a problem.

In your zone you should be able to take them in the garage whenever the temperatures will be below 30, and set them out in above freezing temps.

Burying in the ground is fine as long as you are not in a wet climate; although pots have small drain holes, it is not the same as open soil. We have had 20" rain here since 12 October, so I would not bury a potted plant out in the open here.

• barberberryfarm
    11 years ago

I personally would wait for a day you can tolerate the weather and then plant them. The sooner you get them in the ground, the more time their roots will have to get acclimatized to their new environment before they start to wake up in early March. Also, by planting them now, you will enable them to get the minimum chill hours (temps between 32-45 degs) they need to produce quality blackberries next season. Most thornless varities need at least 400 chill hours between Oct 1 and Feb 15.

I know it's cold, but think of the memory you'll be creating ... :o)

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

L am in zone 7B and my blackberry is doing fine outside. If you get them inside they will not produce because blackberry needs chill hours. Only figs and citrus need to be protected.

• gator_rider2
    11 years ago

The blackberry plants I planted In November zone 8b showed above ground growth 6 weeks later in January as notice above plant now. Any time after first 7 days of 28 low temp has pass time dig or remove from pot plant in ground.

Be very careful when remove plant from pot because crown send out white looking spur this become new growth above ground if brake off want.