Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Desert Gold still not dormant!

Posted by sunnyinsandiego USDA 9/Sunset 20 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 12:27

Here I thought I had everything all planned out...

I have two peach trees, Desert Gold and White Babcock. The white dropped its leaves around Thanksgiving, which I figured was right on schedule for our climate and I started looking at some dormant sprays since I had some peach leaf curl this spring and wanted to see if I could nip it for next year. But the Desert Gold still has all its leaves! Should I...

1. Leave it, don't spray
2. Strip the leaves off, spray
3. Or....?

Thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Desert Gold still not dormant!

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 13:39

I like your peach choices, both are excellent varieties in my locale.

The leaves should strip off easily now. I strip leaves as soon as possible so that I don't have to rake them up later. They go into the compost bin either way, so why not just cut out the middle step?

I don't spray, and haven't even after a few signs of PLC in some seasons, so I will defer to others on that.

o

Are they still green? Red-Yellow? Brown?

o

Fascist_Nation: 90% green, with just the barest touches of reddish-brown starting. You'd think it was October! Then again, it has been an awfully warm winter so far...

mrclint: have you noticed your PLC getting any worse or any better over the years? I'm not the biggest fan of spraying with anything, so if I can avoid it completely, I'd rather do that...

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 16:53

Leaves sometimes stay greenish longer than you would think. If they come off easily they are safe to strip.

PLC seems to be more of a symptom than a disease for me. If I neglect pruning and allow foliage to become dense/thick, without enough air/light penetration, some PLC will pop up. Plucking an occasional PLC leaf seems to work reasonably well. Note that it hasn't gotten out of hand like you see in some IPM pictures. As always, YMMV.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here