Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
peach tree pruning twigs

Posted by Plant_ (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 12:43

Hi there!

I planted a peach tree in november.
The tree has a lot of small twigs and is around 98 inches tall.

I'm thinking to cut the twigs off to give the tree a good start in spring. Is that okay?

When is the best time to prune (planted) peach trees?

I will post a picture soon.

Thanks! (zone= 7a)

This post was edited by Plant_ on Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 16:41

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peach tree pruning twigs

I understand it to be the same as apples; during dormancy, preferably late Winter. I could easily be wrong, so hopefully someone who knows better, provides better advice.

o

Ok, thanks for helping!

o

a lot of tree peeps.. rather that fruiters.. would suggest.. that on a tree planted less than a month ago.. that it not be pruned for a year or two ...

think of every leaf as a food making machine .. to establish and grow a root system.. to produce fruit.. as soon as possible ...

crimminey man.. you planted it less than a month ago.. 6 weeks max.. and you already want to start amputating the thing.. how about we wait until next fall/winter ...

as they say in they movies.. put down the pruners.. and step away .. lol ..

subject to your pic..

good luck

ken

ps: on a dormant late fall planting.. i always fear i will cut off the one branch that will actually live thru a MI winter ... so i NEVER prune that fast ...

o

With peach trees, it is actually best to prune the first years. This will set the frame of the tree since you only get a dozen years from the tree anyways.

However, it is not recommended that they be pruned until spring. Peach trees should be pruned when actively growing. This will heal the wound faster and forestall any pathogens, and also wounded trees have a higher rate of winter injury.
Do a Google search. Peach tree pruning in (your state here).

o

So, as I can see are here different comments.

When it's spring I will just prune dead wood and very thin branches.

Tnx for sharing!

This post was edited by Plant_ on Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 12:13

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here