Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hardware cloth cages - can i prune off low branches now

Posted by mdchambe 5A (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 12:53

Hello all,

I've finally got my winter protection project started to wrap my first year orchard trees with white cloth tree wrap (hope to help with sunscald)and with a a two foot high ~8 inch diameter hardware cloth fence to keep rabbits away. The trees are already fenced with a 6 foot diameter 6 foot high cage for deer protection.

Anyway, as I got started with the process of putting the hardware cloth cages around the trees I found that a number of low branches are in the way. Everything I have read says it is best to prune in March or early April but was wondering if it would cause any problems if I pruned them off now. It would certainly make putting the hardware cloth cages around the trees easier.

Any other thoughts on my winter protection would be appreciated! I'd rather do more than necessary than not enough.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hardware cloth cages - can i prune off low branches now

There are differing opinions out there, but personally I think you're okay to prune a few branches now if you wish. I do still think it's best in early spring, but I also don't think you'll hurt the tree or catch diseases if you do some now. If it helps you to do what you need to do for winter protection, I say go for it.

o
RE: hardware cloth cages - can i prune off low branches now

I always prune in November and haven't seen any problems yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here