Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonytranomaha

Artic blast is here!

Tony
10 years ago

When out last evening and wrapped up all the figs and some Asian persimmon trees.

Tony

Comments (21)

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

What kind of figs are you growing in zone 5!? What do you do to protect them? In pots or in ground?

It is really warm here right now in 6A at 49, but it's coming this way, next week teens for lows. The start of the cold front here is Friday. I better go swimming one last time...
    Stored my rainwater for the winter....I'm ready!

• Tony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Drew,

I have Brown Turkey, Black Mission, Chicago Hardy, Celeste, and violette de bordeaux. The first couple of years I planted them in pots and the last two years in the ground near the south side of the house for micro climate and north wind protection. I usually wrapped them up with a water proof tarp (at leatst 2 times around)and stuffed the inside with dry leaves. Remember to remove the tarp around the 3rd week of February to discourage early budding due to warmer weather. BTW, Friday down to -1F.

Tony

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Wow, cool, now i want some! What about persimmons? What culativars? I was planning on adding a Chicago Hardy anyway, but maybe I will try others in the future. i took note of your selections.

• Tony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Drew,

So far Ichi Kei Ki Jiro- non-astringent and Nikita's Gift Hybrid persimmon -astringent produced annually for me. NG is very sweet and dry well in a dehydrator for year round snack.

Tony

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Awesome! OK, well I'm moving in a few years, but I am going to put the Chicago Hardy fig in a pot. I want to try that gritty mix anyway! (see container forum).
    Thanks for the info. Eventually I will try persimmons too. I want to wait till after the move. Well I need to redo everything. Notes taken on cultivars. Others I like to as far as persimmons.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Wed, Dec 4, 13 at 16:48

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Tony, winter is on its way here too! But not yet. I am interested in Violette de Bordeaux fig. Is that one planted in ground or in a pot? Thanks Mrs. G

• Tony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MrsG,

I planted them all in the ground about foot and a half beyond the pot ground level for just in case the top died and the root will re-grow in the Spring.

Tony

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Thanks Tony. I've only seen pictures of the fig in catalogues or nursery sites it looks beautiful. Taste? Mrs. G

• jagchaser
    10 years ago

Pretty nasty out here tonight. Low of 5 tonight and zero or so for the next 2-3 nights. The worst part for me is the wind, blew 25-35 gusts today up on the hill here.

At least we didn't get the 10 inches of snow valentine got last night!

• Tony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MrsG,

It has purple skin and brilliant red flesh. It has nice aroma, and tastes like the best raspberry jam you've ever eaten.

Tony

• Greg
    10 years ago

It looks like this winter will be a real test for my trees. We got 14" of snow and last night the temps already dropped to -5F. If things keep going this way it will be one of those years were we see -15-20 F. Anyway I planted a hardy Chicago fig and Salavatski pom in ground, both of them are wrapped up in leaves and a tarp. I also have a Saijo persimmon in ground that is not covered. I figured if it doesn't make it I will replace it with an American or hybrid variety. Last I have a triple crown blackberry that is on the trellis. Fingers crossed.

• Monyet
    10 years ago

Tony,all my asian persimmons do not have any protection.
    There might be freeze dry branches with these sudden temps extreme so soon .Hopefully the sionwood that i am going to send you will be o.k.Last night temp here was 27* so that is good.I will keep an eye on the forcast for the next few days.

• Tony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bob,

I hope you don't have to deal with the -F. Thx for the scions.

Tony

• Fascist_Nation
    10 years ago

I hear you man. I finally had to put frost cloth on some young citrus and a young banana. Only the first week in December. It is just not fair. I actually had to put my jacket on for the first time to work outside. What is next, a long sleeve shirt; like I own one of those? Thanks for the sympathies though. ;-)

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Tony , winter has arrived in Newport, RI. This am. it was 30 degrees. No snow yet, only rain and perhaps freezing rain on the way. Freezing rain is so damaging. Will have to cover certain trees. The good news is, in two weeks it will start getting lighter outdoors every day! Then, spring. Mrs. G

• Greg
    10 years ago

I don't know what is going on this year with the weather but it is already shaping up to be very cold. It is only December 10th and last night the temperature got down to -8.3F.
    I live in zone 6b! I am very worried about what could happen next month if this pattern continues.

• marknmt
    10 years ago

We were continuously below zero F for the better part of three days with a low of -19 F, plus a lot of wind. A little scary, but not the worst we've seen. Like Greg it's what to come that is worrying me most.

Right now we're in the mid 20's F and barely breezy, which is comfy by comparison!

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

We have been having very warm weather for awhile so it's bound to go the other way sooner or later. But I think this is just an early chill, it doesn't mean much. Depending whom you talk to predictions are all over the board. Solar scientists say the sun is going into a sunspot lull for about 15 years. Some evidence it is connected to how warm we are depends on the amount of sunspots. Talk of a mini-ice age by some scientists, saying it could happen. Of course the earth could shift alignment and all bets are off. It shifted slightly with the Japan earthquake. The center of balance changed due to the extreme movement of the plates. So the angle of rotation can shift as much as 5 degrees, has shifted throughout history. That changes the angle of the sun. If the earth was not tilted at all, was perpendicular to the sun, we would have no seasons.
    The sun and our orientation are major players in what climate we have.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Hmm still in the 80's here.....what is this cold you speak of?

MrsG if you would like some Violete De Bordeaux cuttings just shoot me an email. Just passed 100 fig varieties:)

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

bamboo_rabbit,
    If available,I'd like one or two.My one didn't survive.Brady

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Brady,

No problem, shoot me an email. While I only have one plant of every other fig the VDB is my Japanese stepover variety so have 6 of them which will yield a couple hundred cuttings I would imagine. It will still be about 3-4 weeks until the figs go dormant here and I can send them....or if we would get a frost, just never know.

Today it is 78 degrees and sweating my butt off doing the annual blueberry beds mulching.

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living