Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbon2727_gw

how do I determine health of pear, peach, walnut trees?

sbon2727
10 years ago

we are looking to purchase a home and hunting property that has pear, peach and walnut trees on it. It is not a farm. The owner has the property priced high due to the fruit trees they say. How do I assess these trees? How do I know if they are healthy or even if they produce fruit? There is a foot of snow here in Michigan right now. Thank you for your help.

Comments (8)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

However healthy the trees, unless they constitute a fair sized productive orchard I am surprised their existence makes any difference to the price of the property. Ask the seller what the yield was the last few years. Ask about their spraying and pruning regime. If the owner doesn't know then the trees are an irrelevance imo and they are trying it on. And even if they are productive are they worth anything to you? How many peaches do you need? Are you interested in becoming an orchardist? If you don't need much fruit and you have little interest in fruit growing then the trees are neither here nor there. If the price is higher than you want to pay, it's too high.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

Walnut trees could be valuable but only for the wood. You'd need a forester to access their value.
    Trees of any kind certainly add to the value of a property. But fruit or nut production would only be significant if that's what the buyer wants. Even a commercial orchard is only worth money to the right person and then only if it has real profit potential.

This doesn't sound like a commercial orchard but if it is ask about it's profit history.

• insteng
    10 years ago

Unless it is actually a full orchard it should not make that much difference in the price for the property. Sounds like he is trying to find anything he can to justify a higher price. Unless you can make money from the trees I would not take them in account of the price. If he is asking extra for the trees I would keep looking myself. It took me two years to find the property I wanted. I then found it right out of the blue at a really good price.

• blazeaglory
    10 years ago

Sounds like maybe the seller is banking on the "off the grid" availability to produce food when the SHTF.

Free food is always good but sometimes our "Free food" can come at a steep price. If they are good trees, I would think they might add some value but very minuscule, if anything. The walnut trees are good for protein and antioxidant.

• jayco
    10 years ago

The walnut trees, if they are black walnut, also are allelopathic, exuding a substance toxic to many other plants, making it hard to plant near them. Our property had 12 and I was excited when we moved, but now I wish they were some other tree! The nuts are delicious but extremely difficult to harvest, and the wood, we've been told, is worth about the same amount we'd have to pay to have the trees down.

Now to me a good peach and pear tree would certainly enhance a property -- but that's personal to me and I agree that they add value only as mature trees.

• marknmt
    10 years ago

It's just not that hard to add trees as you want them and have them bearing in five years or less. If you want fruit you're usually better off staying away from full sized trees, and if you want the shade of large trees you may find the untended fruit a mess. (Taking care of large fruit trees can be difficult, dangerous, and expensive).

Our big maples definitely add value to our property, but for our fruit trees I have kept them under 12 feet.

• northwoodswis4
    10 years ago

It all depends what is important to a buyer. We have a home along a railroad track, which would be a negative for most buyers, but for my railfan spouse it is a big positive. To each their own. Northwoodswis

• milehighgirl
    10 years ago

I agree with marknmt. Full sized trees are much harder to maintain, and trees on dwarfing rootstock should be fruiting in a few years. Peach trees will start producing after just a couple of years but pears can take longer. Also, peach trees are not long-lived. Here is a quote from Dave Griffin: "Don't plant a peach tree thinking that at some time in the distant future, grandchildren at your side, you will be able to look back and fondly recall this day. Plant peaches like you do tomatoes expecting their demise and planning for their replacement. Even in ideal climates and conditions peaches are not an icon for longevity and for sure they are not going to be when you plant them on the fringes of their range and beyond."

Most pears are not self-fertile so you will need to have another nearby to pollinate it. Even if the tree has produced recently there is no guarantee that it will continue to. My grandfather's pear tree produced for many years but then it's pollinator must have been removed. I tried my hand at grafting to it but in the end had to buy a tree to plant near it. I believe that walnuts also need cross-pollination and some peach trees do also. I don't know how long a walnut takes to begin production so this is an issue for someone with experience.

I have actually looked at my back yard orchard as a detriment to resale; most people don't want the work involved. Find a house you love with a price you love then choose your own fruit trees if you desire.