Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to start spraying apple trees?

Posted by LeahRWH 7/8 Georgia (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 8, 12 at 13:23

I'm pretty excited to have just ordered my first apple trees (just moved to a place in the country where I can try out a small orchard!), and I'm pretty confident I know what to do regarding planting and pruning, but I'm not sure about spraying. I've heard that it's more or less impossible to get apples without spraying down here, so I'm all geared up to do that (planning on using the chart on the Johnson's Nursery website to start off), but I'm not sure when to start. Do I start right away when they're teeny baby trees, or should I hold off until they're a couple years old and ready to start producing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to start spraying apple trees?

LeahRWH,

Scott had a great post on his trees calendar. I used it as a guide.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Scott Orchard Calendar

o

Scott, this is a very good calendar post for trees year round. After 5 more years of planting, do you have new infos to add the this old post. Thanks.

o

Thank you, that link is REALLY helpful!

o

Can anyone out there that uses Imidan or Captan tell me how much they use per gallon of water? I know There is a gentleman from Wi or Mn that uses, but I don't know how to make contact. Thanks, Gala Gala

o

• Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 13:21

Based on advice of former poster and fruit wizard, Jellyman, I use 1 TBS per gallon Imidan. I believe Jellyman was only using 3/4 TBS but I just use one full one for ease.

Captan is 2 TBS per gallon. I'm pretty sure that's the dosage on the label.

o

What a great 'overall' orchard sched, Well done Scott! Mrs. G

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here