Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing raspberries

Posted by pevis5 none (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 6, 12 at 13:31

I planted raspberries two years ago. Last spring the plants had multiplied and I expected lots of berries, but only the plants on the end of the plot bore fruit. The rest of the patch developed the beginning of berries but they dried up before maturing. Some of the berries had one or a couple of red pieces. All areas of the garden receive the same amount of water, fertilizer, and sun. What is wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing raspberries

I'm no expert, but I think I've read something along these lines...

I believe some raspberries produce a fall crop AND an early summer crop. The fall crop is produced in year one while the summer crop takes 2 years. It is likely that you are experiencing a small fall crop that isn't reaching full maturity, but hopefully you will get a bigger crop next summer instead. In essence, your fall crop will never reach maturity but your summer crops will. It's just that they're delayed an extra year.

Hope I'm right. Next year you'll know for sure.

o

Is the patch on a slope, did the fruiting plants have the best soil drainage? Did all of the plants bloom equally?

o

I have a similar problem, my guess is too much moisture. My plants do not get morning sun, and stay wet from the dew longer than they should. They seem to have a disease, and are slowly dying out. A few years ago I had a drought, and that was my best year. I have new plants ordered for a new sunnier location. Your plants on the end of the plot produce more, maybe they dry sooner than the others from the sun, or, as stated above, they might have better drainage.

Benny

o

A raspberry patch that slowly dies out over a 2 or 3-year period most likely has wet root problems.

Even in a small, flat garden area, you will notice some small puddles forming in the same spot in winter year after year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here