Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Almond question please help.

Posted by Eric580 6a (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 23, 12 at 13:51

Hello! Does anyone know if almonds will grow in zone six? I've read that they can grow where peaches grow, but I also read they need a dry climate above freezing all year like CA. Which is true? Thanks. (The almond I planted is a regular fresh unsalted almond from the store).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Almond question please help.

They grow perfectly in zone 6 unless you had planted the tree nearby an south wall with good circulation.

Almond trees start to bloom around February/March so that's very early. Almond trees can perfectly survive winters around -25�C.

Good luck!

o

Thank you Plant_.I was a little unsure about that. I was leaning on the zone six though.

o

what are the odds that a nut bought at the grocery store will germinate???

ken

o

Make sure that you cover the blossom in February/March.

I hope that you have hot summers so that the almond can ripe.

Cover the ground with mulch is also good prevention againts cold temperatures.

o

Store almonds will germinate if bought in the shell. Crack the shell first.

o

An almond grown from seed will produce a bitter almond, if it produces at all; the almond root is quite strong, so you could graft it to a variety you want later, say Non Pareil, or Peerless. Generally to produce nuts you need two different varieties for cross pollination. The most common almond sold inshell is the Peerless; but all commercial almonds are grafted, so planting a Peerless seed will not produce a Peerless tree.

o

So if I have two almonds from the store they will grow into two different varieties and cross pollinate?

o

NOOOOOO! If you plant a thousand almond seeds from the store, they will still grow into bitter almonds... seedling almonds, if you will. Bottom line, if you want to grow almonds for the nuts, buy two compatible grafted trees and plant them close together... wait 3-4 years and you will get almonds.

o

Eric - maybe.

o

i didn't get grafted almond near my place so i decided i'l germinate from seeds it's hard but i did.some says from seeds are not producing nuts! is this true how about tissue culture? please help, thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here