Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadianplant

How long can I keep scion stored?

canadianplant
10 years ago

I know that its best to keep scion as fresh as possible and that you should cut the scion as close to pruning time as you can get, while makng sure the buds are dormant. I have an opportunity to collect some nice scion to practice grafting this week. The problem is that i cant think of grafting before april, so that means at least 3 or 4 months of storage.

Is there a way to make sure that the scion doesnt dry out in that time, or has anyone had any experience with longer term scion storage? I am probably going to get sweet cherry and apple scion.

Thanks again

Comments (6)

• marknmt
    10 years ago

We've talked some on storing scion longer-term than usual, and a week or so ago it came up. Apparently Applenut has suggested immersing in water and freezing. You might use a a quart milk carton, for example. I'd probably take ice water with me while clipping my scions and take them directly off of the tree into the water so that they didn't have any chance to warm in the house during handling, but I get obsessive sometimes!

To tell the truth I was a little tempted to go out today and clip a few myself since we're having nice weather at the moment, but I held off.

I'd say "Do it". You can make it work.

Good luck.

• ottawan_z5a
    10 years ago

The statement " you should cut the scion as close to pruning time as you can get, while makng sure the buds are dormant.".
    The part of the statement "as close to pruning time as you can get" is confusing and can mislead or limit options.
    The cuttings can be taken in fall after dormancy sets in or in spring before dormancy breaks out i.e. before the buds start swelling (as well as in winter in some areas). Some people prefer taking cuttingws just before buid swell. This also helps avoid winter storage issue.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    10 years ago

My propagation professor said that early Europeans packed grape scions upside down in wet sand to make the long sea voyage across the Atlantic.

I've never heard of this anywhere except among the stories my professor liked to tell.

• plumfan
    10 years ago

I've kept scions over for the next summer if they fail in the present spring. So from 15 to18 months tops!

Use a new freezer-grade ziploc type bag, moist napkin, and a seperate frig that never sees fresh fruits or veggies.

I will soon give some of my scions a treatment of dilute Daconil or Fungi-Fighter to stave off mold that sometimes develops.

• applenut_gw
    10 years ago

Last spring I tried freezing several different ways: 1.) packed in sawdust, soaked the sawdust, and froze solid, 2.) placed in a bag and wet, then drained the excess water out of the bag and frozen, 3.) placed in a bag and submerged in water, then froze solid.

The best results were placing loose in a zip-lock freezer bag, moistened, drained the excess water out, then frozen loose like frozen peas. You can test it by slicing a bud in half; if there is any brown at all, the bud is dead.

• marknmt
    10 years ago

Thanks, Applenut!

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner