Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do Fruit Trees/Bushes Need Sunlight in the Winter

Posted by lawanddisorder 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 12, 13 at 14:17

I have a bunch of potted fruit trees and bushes in my backyard orchard, and I need to move them into my unheated garage to help them get through the winter cold. However, my garage has no windows, and rarely gets opened, so the plants would get basically no light at all during the winter.

Is this okay? Do plants need light throughout their winter dormancy?

If so, can I just put a couple cheap lights in there with them, or would they need a more high powered lighting system?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do Fruit Trees/Bushes Need Sunlight in the Winter

Only the leaves need light so you need light if and only if there are leaves on the tree.

Scott

o
RE: Do Fruit Trees/Bushes Need Sunlight in the Winter

Thanks, Scott.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here