Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach tree dead or hibernating?

Posted by ernie85017 9 phx (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 14:26

I found a peach tree at a good price (in the summer, too hot to plant). I have cared for it in its 3 gal pot and it continued to grow leaves this summer. When the days shortened the leaves fell and I figured it was going into dormancy. But the small branches coming off the trunk are dead, brown and brittle.

Do they do this when young and dormant? Or is it dead. I didn't want to cut part of the trunk to make sure, in case it is really OK.

I have a bad feeding it is dead. But why?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach tree dead or hibernating?

w/o a pic.. i dont know...

but i figure you are right on the dormancy issue ... it isnt an evergreen ...

and if so.. what more can you do besides wait and see how it leafs out ...

put it somewhere out of sight.. so you can stop breaking branches off ... lol .. somewhere where the black pot never... never ... is hit by sun ... we want those roots to stay dormant.. as long as the part above is ..

there are many other things i would do with a pot in MI ... but you aint MI ... so i would simply tell you to give it a little water now and then.. just to keep the soil a bit moist during dormancy .. insert finger and find out when that is ... dormant trees do not need all that much water ... but root rots do ... so go easy ...

and try to just forget about it.. until other trees start breaking dormancy.. and that is when we will find out.. what your result is ...

ken

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 16:27

Ernie,

You don't have to cut the trunk off to see if it's alive. Simply take a knife and scratch a small portion of the trunk to see if there is any green tissue under the bark. Do it down low. If there is not green tissue under the bark, the tree is dead.

In peach trees, it's not normal to loose twigs the way you describe unless the twigs are heavily shaded.

If it is dead, the problem was likely water management (too much, or too little). Most of the time it's too much water that does a peach in.

o

thanks!
I need to check it now, because when it breaks dormancy it is too late to plant it and expect it to thrive. I should have gotten it in the ground in October, but that didn't happen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here