Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rayrose_gw

Need a New Pruning Saw

rayrose
9 years ago

OK Guys, It's time for me to buy a new pruning saw. I'm finding fairly wide price differences between brands.
What do you guys recommend?

Comments (6)

• fireballsocal
    9 years ago

What are you pruning with the saw?
    I am very happy with my silky gomboy medium tooth pruning saw. The cut end of the branch is very smooth, it cuts fast, the blade folds to be protected by the handle. It's quite expensive as folding saws go though. The bahco Laplander is another great choice and I'd imagine the offerings from corona would be a good budget conscious choice.

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

I use the Silky Gomtaro 300MM rough cut, but the price of replacement blades is getting crazy. Any good tricut Japanese type blade is probably good enough for home use. I don't like the foldups because a sheath is quicker when switching back and forth from lopper, to hand pruners to saw.

Silky does make the best feeling handles but I expect you are looking for something less pricy. For home use it may last at least ten years before you need another blade if you are cutting mostly green wood.

• rayrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Guys, I ordered the Gomboy 240 medium teeth.
    It wasn't too bad at $28 and free shipping & no sales tax.
    I looked at all of the reviews and videos comparing Silky vs Bahco, and the Silky seemed to be the one everyone preferred. Can't wait to start grafting.

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

I have a folding Silky Pocketboy, I like its small size which lets me always carry it on my belt when I am in the orchard. (I have a non-folding one I use for serious pruning sessions.) Its a great saw but if I get too close to the tip when sawing the blade can snap -- its thin. I have snapped two blades since I bought it. If the Gomboy also has such a thin blade be sure to keep your strokes well away from the tip.

Scott

• olpea
    9 years ago

My Silky snaps the tips off too.

I have both a Bahco and Silky. They are pretty close, but the Silky cuts a little faster. I think the reason is because the Silky has a slight taper. In other words it's wider where the teeth are but gets thinner as you move toward the back side of the saw.

The Bahco doesn't have a taper.

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

I haven't snapped off a tip for years and I go through 20 blades a year (yup, about $600 worth). I think the longer blade makes this less likely. I see absolutely no advantage to being able to put a saw in your pocket over slipping it into your sheaf unless you are keeping it around like a pocket knife and usually aren't going to use it.

Of course, I'm speaking from a perspective of a great deal of pruning every year- but even if I'm just doing a few minutes of it I prefer the easy access of a sheaf. No craftsman likes pulling tools out of their pockets as a general rule.

Anyway, when I'm strutting around with a hand pruner on one side and pruning saw on the other side of my belt I feel like a real gunslinging cowboy hero. Lookout you outlaw branches, I'm bringing order to this town!

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner