Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jblaschke

Persimmon gurus! Questions re: American persimmons

jblaschke
9 years ago

I am looking to plant some persimmon trees, and would very much like to include some American persimmon trees (have fond memories of a couple of trees on my grandparents' land from my youth). I'm looking at Yates and Prok, which is no great surprise. However, for a variety of reasons, I really don't want a 30-50 foot tree on my property. I can manage something in the 20-30 foot range.

So, my first question is whether or not there is a dwarfing/semi-dwarfing rootstock for American persimmons? Are they compatible with kaki or lotus rootstock? Texana? The various Asian cultivars reach a good size for me at maturity--if I could get a good-quality American in that size I'd be quite happy.

My second question: Will d. texana pollinate d. virginiana? There aren't any wild American persimmons in my area, but we're flush with Texas persimmons. Could the local pollen trigger fruiting?

Finally, anyone know the chromosome count of d. texana? I'm not finding that information anywhere online. D. virginiana and d. kaki, sure, but nothing for d. texana. Thanks!

Comments (3)