Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Olive Tree Leaves Falling

Posted by meisocal 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 15:34

I received an Olive Tree seedling about 10 months ago and it came in a very small slender plastic pot. The tree came from a supplier that grows trees for olive tree farmers and so I believe that this container was temporary until the farmer got the tree in the ground. When I got the tree home, I transplanted the tree into a larger pot with well composted soil hoping the it would grow bigger and stronger before I moved in to the the ground. Well, ever since then, the leaves have been dropping quite a bit, followed by a growth spurts and then more leaf drop.

I had it outdoors for all summer, moved it indoors hoping to protect from the cold nights, but then I was told that it should do better outdoors. It has been outdoors for two weeks now, but I have not seen any change. When I had it indoors, I was watering about twice a week with a proper soak and fully drain method. Ever since it has been outdoors, I have not watered it because of the rains we have been having lately.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I was hoping to have a large olive tree in my front yard someday.

This post was edited by meisocal on Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 19:28

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Olive Tree Leaves Falling

Keep it outdoors but protect temporarily if low temps threaten. Continue similarly for the next several years until it's well established in the garden.

o

Thanks for the advice. How low would be considered low? I am in the inland suburbs of LA so the temps rarely go below 40F

o

Olives will have no problems with your temperatures. I think your bought a "liner" the way most tree seedlings are sold. Although the container was probable not more than 3 inches wide it was deep and ready to transplant the tree into the ground. I have an idea that you potted it up into a mix that did not drain well enough and the combination of wet roots and low light caused the leaf drop. Olives only need well drained soil and full sun to do well. They don't need a rich soil with lots of fertilizer. Al

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 11:34

Indoors is bad for that tree. FULL SUN is a must. Even 30F will be OK for olives, and mature trees take 10F overnight.

o

Thanks for the feedback. I will leave it outdoors and hopefully it will be healthy enough to move to the ground before the summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here