Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple planting question.

Posted by Eric580 5b (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 15:34

Hello everyone. Does anyone know what season apple trees should be transplanted? And do they need male and female trees to produce fruit? Thanks:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple planting question.

Apple trees can be planted anytime the ground is not frozen, fall, winter, spring. Planting in summer is about the only time that is NOT a good idea. They don't have separate male and female trees. Every flower has both male and female parts. However, most apple varieties do need to be cross-pollinated by a different variety, some even by two others (these are the triploids, of which there are quite a few). So, you'll want to make sure you have at least two if not three different varieties within about 500 feet of one another so that the local bees and insects can find them all for proper pollination. Otherwise, with just a single apple tree, you could have all the flowers in the world, but zero apples, or apples that don't develop properly.

Have fun planting your tree(s) and enjoying the fruits of labor.

o

Thank you for answering my question dmtaylor! My sister brought home some apple seeds from school a week ago. I think I'll plant them.

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 19, 12 at 8:55

"most apple varieties do need to be cross-pollinated by a different variety, some even by two others (these are the triploids, of which there are quite a few)."

dmtaylor,

Triploid apples are self-sterile but only require one pollenizer to produce fruit.

As an aside, crab apples are generally an excellent pollenizer for apples (they bloom over a long time). Any ornamental crab apples in the neighborhood should take care of pollination (whether triploid or diploid apples).

o

Apple trees from seeds usually don't produce very good fruit and can take up to 10 years to fruit but it might be a fun project.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here