Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What does healthy 2-3 year old wood look like in the center?

Posted by blazeaglory 10 SZ22 OC Ca (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 15:51

I have been fighting a 2 year battle with a canker syringae (sp?) on my peach tree of nearly the same age. Last year it seems like the canker subsided as I cut well below the infected area and it even seems like copper sprayed on the open cut helps to slow it down. I had a bunch of nice peaches. Now I am pruning my branches back a bit and I noticed last years wood has a dark brown almost "resiny" hard center. Ill take a picture later but does that sound right?

Otherwise the branches and buds look good but the inside center is thick and brown (not really gooey or soft) but brown and "resin" looking.

The picture was taken almost 2 days after being cut so the outer rings have darkened a bit but otherwise were bright white/light brown when first cut.

And Merry Xmas and Happy New year to everyone. I hope your garden grows well!

This post was edited by blazeaglory on Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 17:34

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What does healthy 2-3 year old wood look like in the center?

Dark may be okay, but gummy isn't.

o

Yeah its kinda weird. Maybe a dark resiny looking center. It looks "gummy" but it is hard to the touch.

Ill take a picture now and upload it in a bit

o

You mean "Pseudomonas syringae"?

Does it have a bacterial odor?

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r602101011.html

o

It has no open wounds or odor. I havent seen it on many peach trees and it took me a while to actually figure out what it was but it causes the tips of branches to turn black and die and slowly cause the entire stem/branch to die back if not cut at least 12" below the infected area.

I have yet to see any open "sores" or cankers on the tree, just the tip/branch die back. Also, I havent had any die back for an entire season, so I hope I have dealt with it. I almost lost my entire tree because the main stem became infected and was dying down before I knew it. I had to cut down to almost the bottom of the trees "graft". It has stopped now for almost 2 years. My tree is about 3-4 years old but is somewhat small due to the first 2 years dealing with the die back.

Ive never seen the inside of a cut branch of a peach tree so I was wondering if that picture up above looked normal? That is from a 2 year old branch.

This post was edited by blazeaglory on Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 17:41

o

Thanks Jean!

o

Here is what I have been dealing with. I think FN was right, it is a type of Pseudomonas syringae but without the open wounds. All I have noticed on my peach tree is tip and bud die back but last year it was almost non existent.

http://utahpests.usu.edu/htm/utah-pests-news/fall08/bacterial-canker

I do know that when the tips die back, you can see little spores form on the dead tip. I bought a dwarf nectarine and it had it as well, so I got rid of the entire tree but my in ground peach tree was planted with it before I knew what it was.

o

That was a good example in most woods. The color and texture of woods will depend on their kind.

o

Thank you!

I was asking because it seems that only the branches with the tip die back had the dark center, but then again it could be my mind worrying too much.

The more I look at it, the more it looks good. I think I just need some reassurance maybe?

Im used to Citrus trees but I do have a couple peach trees and a really nice plum tree with Santa Rosa and Satsuma. I would hate to lose any of those trees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here