Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
persimmonbob

Are your persimmon growing in the wrong Zone?

Monyet
10 years ago

Most of my persimmons are growing in the wrong zone.I am in zone 7,so asian persimmon really should be grown in zone 8 for best results.In normal years i get away with a decent yield.This fall i got 2 freezes already and a big one coming this thursday.
Sayo is always reliable,Kiungsun ban si reliable also,Giombo pretty good but has to ripened of the tree,these usely ripened around december 1, The same with Roya brillianti which was kind of disapointing in taste,it was somewhat dry(first year fruit) maybe a late variety also.
I'll give it one more year, besides it has a lot of seeds,it is growing next to a seeded variety,which will be history next spring.K.B.S and Giombo are my keepers and Sayo which is my wife favotite is also a keeper.All the others will be topwork this spring with a new variety.

Comments (11)

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

tonytran is growing them in zone 5. See the Artic Blast thread.

• cousinfloyd
    10 years ago

Bob, do you mind sharing which particular varieties you're going to be getting rid of?

• persianmd2orchard
    10 years ago

thanks for report on,rojo, been awaiting that report! hope.it.improves next season.

maybe hachiya ripens earlier than giombo with similar.fruit?

• Monyet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If you are growing asian persimmon in zone 5 you are well prepaired for protecting your tree's early,unless you have a heated greenhouse, that why i don't grow fancy tasting fig's and others that need to be potted for winter protection. Most of my fig's are in ground,except the very young ones.I am not big with container tree's.
    There are a few more persimmon that are good but way late for my area but i have to ignore them, because i am happy with what i grow.I will try a new variety for next year.

I found a way to get rid of extra fruits,i went to a potluck with a bucket full of asian persimmon,guess what, they are all gone.That was need.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

"Most of my fig's are in ground,"

All of tonytran's figs and persimmons are in the ground in zone 5. The figs for 2 years now. Impressive! I'm going to try a Chicago Hardy in a pot. Actually because I'm moving and want to take it with me. Thanks for your report, interesting what your experiences are, helpful to everybody.

• strudeldog_gw
    10 years ago

I have lost several to cold in a warm zone 7 to fluctuating spring weather. Zone 5 must be tough, but I am impressed by what others manage.

• Scott F Smith
    10 years ago

This year neither my Aizu Michirazu or my Amgake Hyakume ripened in time.. first time that happened. The season started late and there was an early freeze they usually would have taken OK but they didn't have enough sugar this year so end of maturation. They had ripened every other year, but this significantly lowered my interest in them -- Hachiya and Fuyu always ripen in time so why grow something more risky? 20th Century, Chocolate, and Maru also fully ripened this year.

Scott

• Monyet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i will say that Roya Brill. is a beautiful looking fruit,just like an oversize acorn with a reddisch top to a more maroon color and this variety seems very precosious.

• Monyet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

cousinfloyd, the varieties that i don,t have anymore are Shin na da,sharon,greatwall,Ribes,

• cousinfloyd
    10 years ago

Thanks, Bob. I hadn't heard of Ribes, but maybe it wasn't worth hearing about. Wasn't Shin na da one that England's Orchard used to recommend until recently?

• Monyet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes,i have better ones now and will keep asian at 4 varieties.In total i have about 30 or 40 of this group of asians and that is more than enough.