Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Storage of winter collected scions

Posted by plumhillfarm 4b (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 16:14

Hello, Perhaps I have missed it, but I wanted to post this. I used to dip all my scions in 5% chlorox (1 part chlorox 19 parts water) packed away in multiple bags to prevent the freezer burn effect. But often I would get white colored mold all over the scions. So I started dipping the scions in a copper solution 1 teaspoon per quart (kocide ) before packing them away. and they look like they were just picked once you washed the copper off with active buds and grafted well. What are other peoples experiences?

Eric

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Storage of winter collected scions

I never dip them in anything. I just put them in a bag in the fridge, sometimes wrapped in a damp paper towel or cloth. I usually collect apple and pear scions in Feb. or March and then graft in April.

o

I don't dip them either. I prefer to wrap scions in damp newspaper. The soy based inks are anti fungal.

o

Thats interesting, Eric. I usually just pull them out and rinse and brush with a soft brush as soon as I see any mold, then it doesn't come back until I am ready to graft. But the copper sounds like a good idea. It may be particularly useful for rooting, there things are in warm spots and can mold and rot before the rooting takes off.

Scott

o

Up here in Vermont it doesn't really get warm until the end of May. The leaves come out the 2nd week of May, but the trees are not really growing until the end of May. But the buds start to swell during short warm periods in March and April, so if I want tight buds at grafting I have to pick them near the end of Feb, meaning I have to store them for 3 months. That's why I have a fungus issue.

Eric

o

My experience is that if the buds aren't showing green they do fine and the later I harvest wood the better off they do as long as they aren't already showing green. I usually collect all my wood in March, some of it in late March, warm spells or not.

o

Last year I top worked some apple trees in late March just to see what would happen. The temps got down into the single digits, but all the grafts did fine.

o

I store mine in straight newspaper...cut late march or the same time I tap maple trees. I added a bunch of fruiting wood with great results. I got large nice fruit in the first year grafts added to a mature crabapple. my neighbors thought I was nuts so I'm glad it worked so well . I hope second years fruit is bigger and better..... without over doing it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here