Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgirl_gw

Peach rootstock recommendations and source?

milehighgirl
10 years ago

I ordered some scion from GRIN and I have no idea if I will get the cuttings. In case I do I would like to know where I can buy peach rootstock. Most of my trees were purchased on seedling rootstock. I would like to find a source for Bailey, which I believe is the most cold-hardy.

Any recommendations for a source for either seedling or Bailey rootstock?

I was also thinking if all else fails I could buy peach trees from Costco and use those for rootstock.

Comments (15)

• aphahn
    10 years ago

I am using krymsk 1 for dwarf early bearing peaches. There has been some indication that maybe not all peaches are compatible with it, but I have not seem that yet (only 3 yrs). Probably the biggest drawback is that it shows water stress pretty quickly, so not a good choice if you don't have good irrigation. Rain tree and others have it.

Andy

• windfall_rob
    10 years ago

There is also some data that came out of Cornell's rootstock trials some years ago that cultivars on k-1 are more cold hardy. It was incidental data resulting from a severe winter that hit them during the trial

For what it is worth, the two trees I have on k1 have seen no winter dieback over three season....but the flower buds fried out last winter at some point

But I have no trees on anything else to compare to

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell rootstock trials

• Scott F Smith
    10 years ago

If you only have a couple trees to graft you can consider going to fruittreefarm.com and buying some random peach trees for their cheap prices. The grafts will have much better odds of succeeding since the stock will have a lot more vigor. If you call them up they may have junker varieties or graft failures you could get for cheaper. The one year I bought Krymsk from Raintree they were wimpy and the grafts mostly failed due to lack of stock vigor.

Scott

• Monyet
    10 years ago

Scot, thanks making aware of this website.These guys are pretty decent with prices.
    Bob.

• aphahn
    10 years ago

I have not had issues with raintree stock or K1.
    Scott, did you provide heat to callus the K1? It always produces gobs of callus tissue for me at 85f and the trees grow like mad.

Andy

• itheweatherman
    10 years ago

Here is a great link from University of California

http://ucanr.org/sites/fruitreport/Rootstocks/Search_Name/

• Scott F Smith
    10 years ago

Andy, I did field grafts. Maybe it would have done better with bench grafts. If I get a vigorous rootstock the field grafts always work so I stopped doing bench grafts many years ago.

By the way I have heard very few stories of people doing bench grafts with peaches. I did a few a long time ago and some of them worked. Peaches are usually fall budded and if not that they are spring field grafted.

Scott

• olpea
    10 years ago

Milehigh,

If you want just a few seedling rootstocks for peaches (and they don't have to be Bailey) I would be willing to send you some for the cost of postage.

The roostocks would be small. I have good luck field grafting small peach rootstocks, but have haven't tried much bench grafting of peach rootstocks.

If I sent the rootstocks, I'd probably have to dig and send them in early Spring (like late Feb./early March) so they would still be fully dormant (plus we get too busy starting with planting season (mid March)). Your ground might still be frozen then, but you could probably pot the rootstocks.

• Fascist_Nation
    10 years ago

1. Can you use CostCo? Heck yes, but do they tell you the rootstock and does whomever do the ordering select rootstocks appropriate for your area?

2. Buying a few rootstocks is limited as most outlets want minimum orders of at least 50. Some retailers like the fore mentioned Raintree, do sell individually. If this is the first time grafting I would order as many trees as you have buds. Figure on a 25% success rate.

3. You can also graft onto branches of a current peach tree--well label them--and then a year later take cuttings to graft onto rootstock.

• itheweatherman
    10 years ago

I have a question, is Krymsk 1 rootstock compatible with cherries? I'm asking this question because i have a K1 rootstock and I want to graft raineer cherry and a plum onto it

Have you tried to create your very own rootstocks?

I am, I have two peach x almond hybrids, I hope that they would tolerate drought and high temperatures.

I'm also planning to cross them with a Myrobalan plum, and with marianna 2624 rootstock.

• aphahn
    10 years ago

Krymsk 5 is the cherry rootstock, K1 is not compatible with cherry.

• calliope
    10 years ago

I grow my peaches on their own roots, FWIW.

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

calliope,

Do you start them from seed or do you root the scion?

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

olpea,

If you read this please send me a PM. If you still have some I'd like to get a few of your trees.

• olpea
    10 years ago

Milehigh,

I sent you an email through GardenWeb. If it doesn't go through, contact me through my Website - www.tubbyfruits.com