Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Re: Pluots

Posted by caroltropicals 77401 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 26, 13 at 16:36

There is a 4 in one Pluot Tree for sale. They say that you also need a Santa Rose Plumb or Burgandy plumb to pollinize.
I just don't have the space and I do not have either of these plumb pollinizer varieties.

If there are 4 Pluots on this tree, can't they pollinize each other.
Thanks in advance for any advise. I live in Houston, Tx which would require low chill hours.
I do wish there were a dwarf pluot to buy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Re: Pluots

They probably will pollinate each other. The problem with pollinators is the nurseries don't have the time to test every pair to see if one will pollinate the other, its a lot of work to isolate, etc. So they just test a few, Burgandy and Santa Rosa in particular for plums/pluots.

Prune your pluot and you can keep it as a dwarf. I never let mine get more than 8' tall. Read up on summer pruning for size control.

Scott

o

Thanks, Scott, do you think it is a good idea to buy this 4 in 1. I am hoping it is even though we are light the chilling hours. thanx

o

Which cultivars are they? Some of the Pluots are more susceptible to disease than the more humidity-tolerant plum cultivars.

o

they are Dapple Dandy, Flavor King, Flavor Queen and Flavor Supreme. I believe these are good at least from what I am reading. thanx

o

I have this tree from DWN, same 4 in 1. They all fruited for me in San Jose 9b, maybe 400 chill hours last year....

I do have a Santa Rosa in my yard maybe 30 ft away....

o

I think you need advice from an experienced grower in your region. Texas has high humidity and pluots tend to suffer this with cracking and brown rot. Probably not the best choice as a first fruit tree there- hopefully Fruitnut will chime in with a bit more authority on growing them in your conditions.

The 4 in 1 is a very long shot as all 4 might need to do well or disease from one may spread to others less susceptible.

o

Thank you everyone.
I read on some cherry post how to fake a tree into chill hours, but I have no idea what it was.
I do have a 4 in 1 apple tree. I have never been pleased with it especially in my area.
It seems it would be better to go with 1 type of pluot.
We are a strange area down here with tons of humidity and heat. Any advice would be helpful. Carol

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 10:08

Carol:

There is local information and experience in your area. My suggestion is to contact J Clayton Bell of the Texas chapter of California Rare Fruit Growers. They'll have members growing pluot and plum in the Houston area. That will be your best source of information.

Here is a link that might be useful: TX chapter of CRFG

o

Thanks, I have emailed this chapter. Hope they will answer.
Thanks, fruitnut, someone else said they wished you would post for some help, Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here