Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john222_gg

Growers Pride or GP

john222-gg
11 years ago

Right heare by my house they are selling fruit trees.The trees are bare root trees.The problem is they don't show chill hours on bags.I can't seem to find GP on the net.is there any one that can tell me who to contact to find abought chill hours for Growers Pride or GP fruit trees.All help would be apreshated thanks and thanks for the help in the past.

Comments (10)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Well, instead of trying to find info on Grower's Pride, how about posting the varieties, and perhaps forum members can give you chill hours for the various cultivars you're interested in?

Patty S.

• john222-gg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have looked at a lot of the different names of the trees.I think they make up different names for there trees.you can't match the names with anything.These trees are at the local CO-OP Am going to try to get info from them.

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

I recommend ordering your trees from a reputable supplier. Even if you get specific info on varieties how do you know trees are labeled correctly?

Investing in trees from a reliable source is well worth some added expense. Growing fruit successfully is hard enough with the right varieties.

• maplerbirch
    11 years ago

It is strange that a local Co-op would not be a reputable source. Master Gardeners are likely to be involved with a local Co-op and through that particular organization you should be able to get some decent information.
    Usually bare root plants a dug during dormancy and sold just about the time that they're coming back to life.
    I see you are from a warm zone and your concept of chill hours would have different significance than ours.

• PRO
    Advanced Nursery Growers
    5 years ago

I would love to have the information about how to contact Growers Pride GP has anyone figured it out?

• sah67 (zone 5b - NY)
    5 years ago

A quick google search shows that the Growers' Pride brand is a trademark of Burchell Nurseries. I'm sure you can find contact info on their website:

http://www.burchellnursery.com/

• Thomas Pickens
    2 years ago

This isn't the same Grower's Pride. Burchell doesn't sell bare root trees, and they only sell through Costco and their website.

• HU-696644844
    last year
    last modified: last year

I have the same problem with locating Grower's Pride (GP) branded fruit trees. There is no information on the packaging and I do not know if their variety identification is reliable. I also see apple trees identified as "Pink Lady" and I believe that variety is trademarked to prevent unauthorized (meaning without royalty payment) propagation. I am a grafter and the trees are cheap (as low as $7.50) in some wholesale outlets so I use these as rootstock at times. These trees come in blue packaging with the roots packed in sawdust and some soil. I find apples, pears, plums and figs and there may be others. There is no evidence of any state certification for nursery products of any kind. I purchased several apple trees this year and they have all had good root systems. I have purchased some in past years with minimal root systems. The trees are obviously grafted and I would like to ask GP what rootstock is used.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year
    last modified: last year

" This isn't the same Grower's Pride. Burchell doesn't sell bare root trees, and they only sell through Costco and their website. "

It IS the same!! Grower's Pride is a trademarked marketing designation owned by Burchell Nurseries in California. They DO sell bare root fruit trees, both by mail order and via various retail outlets.

Unfortunately, their website does not appear to be functioning at the moment but you could try calling during business hours if you have questions - 1-800-828-8733

• HU-696644844
    last year

I called Burchell Nurseries in California and was told that they only ship to California, Oragon, and Washington states. In addition, they do not sell "bagged" trees. So the search for Grower's Pride or GP branded fruit trees continues.