Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GoldRush on winter solstice

Posted by scottfsmith 6B-7A-MD (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 21, 13 at 16:44

I was out pruning in the orchard today and noticed a GoldRush was still hanging on the tree. It looked really nice so I picked it and ate it -- it was excellent. I was surprised the flesh was perfect texture in spite of all the cold weather; it was extremely sweet. Next year I will see if I can leave more hanging through the winter - nothing beats grabbing an apple off the tree in December.

Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GoldRush on winter solstice

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 21, 13 at 16:49

How cold has it been there so far this winter? How big do your GoldRush get? Thanks!

o

Up here we got into single digits and they are mushy but with a bit of texture yet and actually palatable. My wildlife has removed every hanging apple, and I left quite a few- probably mostly the work of a possum. But some of my customers don't seem to like their Goldrush and left heavy crops on the trees that remain. What a waste as it is at sites with full sun and they were well thinned.

o

Last year I left one Goldrush apple on the tree until Christmas day, which I picked and ate. It was still quite edible. I left a few on this year also, but they all turned to brown mush. We had several nights in the low teens, and a night or two about 10 degrees.

o

Our low up to now was in the high teens. I had problems with some persimmons turning to mush but they were varieties that didn't sweeten up enough (too late ripening). The GoldRush had enough sugar so it stayed relatively crisp.

Some critters got a few Pink Lady I left hanging but they missed this one GR.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here