Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redsun9

Some Pictures on Chinese Jujube

Here are some pictures from the present day Chinese jujube orchard.

{{gwi:2121492}}
Picking jujube
{{gwi:2121493}}
picking jujube
{{gwi:2121494}}
shaking jujube
{{gwi:2121495}}
Inside jujube orchard
{{gwi:2121496}}
Jujube orchard #1
{{gwi:2121497}}
Jujube orchard #2
{{gwi:2121498}}
Jujube orchard #3

The old jujube has a trunk close to 2' diameter. The modern jujube trees in this set of pictures are about 15' to 20' tall. They use a lot of sprays to control pests....

Comments (18)

• Tony
    9 years ago

This large jujube tree is from Houston, TX. of Unknown variety. Maybe Sherwood or Lang?

Tony

This post was edited by tonytran on Sat, Dec 20, 14 at 23:00

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That looks like to be about 25' tall? 10 years old?

• maryhawkins99
    9 years ago

Here's a picture of a Korean jujube orchard taken a year ago. They keep their trees maybe 10-12ft tall; interesting the Chinese grow them so much taller.

btw I was Xian, Shanxi, China last month. Lots of jujubes but they were smaller than Li; maybe the Shanxi Li's were out of season

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those trees are still young. Maybe less than 10 years old. But they still look like 15' tall.

• Tony
    9 years ago

Bob,

Is this your nice looking SO jujube photo. I got your wood this past Spring and the new graft is about 2 feet tall with a very nice contorted branches.

Tony

• Tony
    9 years ago

Here is Bass multi- grafted Jujube tree.

Tony

• maryhawkins99
    9 years ago

Hi Tony, yes that's my contorted so. It s hard to get it under control, I chop off 5 ft each year and it grows right back. My Korean farmer friend looked at it and said it'd be much more productive if I kept it shorter and pruned more.

redsun when I looked at the korean orchard I thought they were older and shorter but I'll ask my friend. I don't believe they spray at all but I'll check that too. We have a language barrier korean vs english but I'll see what I can find out. Your china pictures are impressive did you travel there?

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Korean trees are about 4-5" diameter, right? I think Bob's So is larger, about 6-7" diameter? Looks about 20' tall.

So if not pruned heavily, the tree can grow much larger...

The Chinese jujube is from a video I borrowed.... For commercial production, the trees are planted very dense and a lot of maintenance. There are also many kinds of chemical sprays people can use.

They also cut the barks on the trunk to force the fruiting. I believe they replace the entire orchard some year down the road. Maybe in about 10-15 years?? So it is quite intensive, not sure if good for home orchard....

• Tony
    9 years ago

Bob,

My Aunt Vietnamese friend in Orange County, CA grew some of highly recommended jujube varieties. They looked real good.
    Below is Shanxi LI.

Tony

• Tony
    9 years ago

Sugarcane

• Tony
    9 years ago

Winter Delight

• Tony
    9 years ago

GA-866. Suppose to be very sweet.

• Tony
    9 years ago

Sherwood.

Tony

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tony,

Those are very nice jujube collections. I still have room for more jujube trees. I'll try to graft some when I have the rootstock.

• maryhawkins99
    9 years ago

Redsun I appreciate all the research your doing, I can't say I understand all the aspects of growing Jujubes. My Contorted So is currently about 16 ft tall, diameter is 8" at the trunk; it's been my fastest growing jujube.

The korean orchard is about 30 years old. They prune aggressively and keep the tree height low, not mucher higher than a person can reach. When I was there the farmer tried to show me how to prune, they even prune the leaves during summer; but there was quite a language barrier and no leaves when I was there. I'm still trying to get an answer if they spray. They harvest by shaking the tree and knocking branches with a stick.

• maryhawkins99
    9 years ago

Tony those are beautiful Jujubes. They really seem to like California. I've gotten almost no fruit from my GA866 and Sherwood yet

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How old is your So tree?

I can't believe the Korean orchard is 30 year old. The trunk is not thick. If they shake the fruits, then what is the purple to prune them low?

Some of the Chinese jujube farms are very dense. Spacing is about 2 meters, or 6' within rows. But they use extensive commercial practices and a lot of chemical controls. They force intensive fruit production, then rebuild the entire orchard within a short time frame. With the extensive chemical uses, the soil salt level is very high.

They also use trenching to fertilize the root systems....

• maryhawkins99
    9 years ago

My so is about 7 years old

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting