Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottfsmith

Thread for new nursery varieties / coupon codes

Scott F Smith
10 years ago

I thought it would be good to have a thread where we could list interesting new items in the new crop of nursery catalogs coming out now. Also, coupon discount codes as well :-)

I'll kick things off.. Ison's and Womack Nursery are both selling hardy pomegranates this year. Womack's has a whole bunch, Ison's only a couple. Ison's has a couple new muscadine varieties (but, they don't sound like any big step up to me). Ison's has a coupon code JOY15 for 15% off, not sure how long it will last.

Arboreum has a new Crawford type peach, Double Crawford, which sounds interesting.

Scott

Comments (30)

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Scott, does 'Double' Crawford pertain to the flower? Many thanks Mrs. G

• Scott F Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They named it "Double" because its a sibling of Baby Crawford -- its double.

Scott

• olpea
    10 years ago

Great idea Scott.

Adams is selling several new nectarines, plus a few old ones. I'm finally going to be able to try Summer Beaut, one Hman has been recommending for some time.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

Raintree is offering selected items for Spring shipment as a bonus.When paid before January 1st,a person can pick an additional 20% of their total order in other plants. Brady

• RobThomas
    10 years ago

Burnt Ridge has added a lot of new items to their catalog this season. Too many to list, but check out their Asian pear, Jujube, and persimmon listings.

Last year Ison's offered three types of "Russian" pomegranates, but they aren't offering Nikitski Ranni this year. They've added several new things to their catalog this year, but I wasn't too excited about the "new" muscadines. I think they are older varieties that they've just started offering.

Fruittreefarm has the newest peach and nectarine varieties from the Arkansas program.

Double A has the newest table grapes from U of A.

Grow Organic has bareroot strawberry bundles of 25 for only $4.99.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

Cooks Garden has some new things,mostly vegetables and free shipping through 12/7/2013.Use promo code CF338 in cart.
    I purchased some Blueberry plants from them early this year and one didn't make it.I e-mailed them and it was promptly replaced.I think they are an affiliate of Burpee. Brady

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Henry Fields/Gurneys is touting the Honey Pearls⢠Nectacot⢠Tree. Claims it is a nectarine/apricot cross. Somebody I know says he thinks it was selected in New Jersey from open pollinated apricot seed that was obtained from Central Asia, and not a cross.
    It is supposed to have a late bloom time. Considering the peaches from China, no matter what it is, it sounds interesting.

• Scott F Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thats interesting Drew, hadn't seen that. I was disappointed with their Sugar Pearls so I'm probably not going to experiment with Honey Pearls. But who knows, it could be good. My guess is its looks something like a nectarine so they put that in the name for marketing purposes.

Scott

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

It does look like a nectarine, but smaller. I agree, it's probably not all that.
    What I'm looking for is a lot of cultivars from other countries. You mention the Chinese peaches. But even the Candadian tart cherries are not here. Like Romeo, Cupid, and others from the Romance series.
    The orange Valentina raspberry from the UK. Commonly sold there.
    I have decided to try and grow a number of other Rubus species besides raspberries and blackberries. Many interesting looking Rubus plants are around. Just for fun. Like the giant Chinese raspberry, and others.

• olpea
    10 years ago

Beautiful looking berries Drew! How do they taste?

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

"Beautiful looking berries Drew! How do they taste?"

Well it's not my photo, but somebody here sent the seeds to me for free to try and grow these. They need stratification, and probably scaring. They are in a cold frame now. I have read from multiple accounts that they are pretty good! Again this is a hobby within a hobby project.

Also from seed I'm growing a more blackberry type Rubus
    RUBUS LUDWIGII (Photo not mine!).
    The "Silver Bramble" comes from the Drakensberg Mountains of South Africa where it makes small congested shrublets of silvery-green, wrinkled leaves. The white flowers in spring are succeeded by tight clusters of edible, white powdered 'blackberries'

I also made some raspberry crosses and growing them from seed too.

Melons are also interesting and I'm growing a few. Not your regular types:
    Noir des Carmes Melon
    Sakata Sweet Melon
    Charentais melon

• Ernie
    10 years ago

Indiana Berry has a couple of new berry releases that might be of interest to eastern growers -- Von blackberry and Flavorfest strawberry.

• cousinfloyd
    10 years ago

Shazaam, thanks for bringing Indiana Berry to my attention. They seem to have an exceptionally good price on potted grafted pawpaws (although apparently just the two varieties: Prolific and Sunflower.) I tried my first Sunflower this year, by the way, and it was an outstanding pawpaw.

• thecityman, Zone 7a/6b near Nashville
    10 years ago

Drew51- I just wanted to say how neat I think it is that you are getting so specialized into Rubus. I even love how you describe your focus as a "hobby within a hobby". I very much look forward to seeing if you come up with any amazing finds. When you are planting things like the silver bramble from the mountains of south Africa, one never knows how it might turn out. People tend to think "if it was really amazing it would be more popular" but that just isn't true. I often cite figs as proof of this. While they are old news on sites like this, the general public in my part of the country have never tasted a fresh fig, but I've yet to find anyone who didn't love them when I gave them a taste.

I know nothing about your Rubus, but I did grow one of your melons for the first time this year- Charentais melon. You will read that they are really bad to split open, but I never had that problem. They were very good, but after reading all the reviews about the unique, wonderful taste, I was a bit disappointed to discover- at least mine- tasted very much like a typical cantelope (closest to ambrosia). Again, they tasted great, but just weren't as unique or different as I'd hoped. Also, mine at least, were quite unattractive! The seed catalog photos show them as beautiful melons, but all mine had spots that looked bad, though had no effect on the melon. Also, my vines were extremely susceptible to powdery mildew, but that may have just been my garden. Good luck with your berries and melons!

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Finding good fruit often leads to disappointment. It's a rare thing for sure. I wanted to mention Indiana Berry is a nice company, Even though the prices were cheap, the products were top rate. At least as far as raspberries. Impressive bare root examples.

Last year was a good year for powdery mildew. I have the sulfur ready!
    Thanks for the comments!

• cousinfloyd
    10 years ago

> People tend to think "if it was really amazing it would be more popular" but that just isn't true.

I very much share that belief with you!

• Scott F Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Re: the melons, I grew those in past years. I found the Charentais exceptionally good, and Noir des Carmes more or less your average melon. Unfortunately I got few Charentais and many NdC. Also after a few years the squash bugs moved in en masse and squashed any idea of getting a harvest. If you want to keep growing melons year after year some bug killer spraying is needed.

Scott

• maryhawkins99
    10 years ago

Just Fruits & Exotics now has Yamoto persimmons; they don't say which type; but they're sold out. England's has several new persimmon varieties I havent heard of

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

The Sakata Sweet Melon is a unique melon with edible skin. From Japan. Thanks for the feedback on the melons.
    Speaking of new and different Burpees is always offering new stuff. They have many exclusive cultivars. Last year I grew the White D Pineberry. A white strawberry. It is unique and very good. I have three white Pineberries cultivars, and this one seems to be the most productive. Next season I will know more. I planted a large bed of all three. Anyway it's an excellent cultivar. Not super productive but the white berries do have a unique taste. They do not taste like white or yellow alpines.
    Burpees also have many exclusive melons.
    Twice As Nice
    Crème De La Crème Hybrid
    Sound interesting. The latter was described in a review as tasting like French Vanilla ice cream.
    My wife loves melons, so even if just normal, she will be happy.
    I plan on rotating crops. The bed will first have 30 day radishes, 3 cultivars. Then the melons will be put in. Next fall garlic will be planted there and grow through the 2015 season. Melons will be put in again in 2016.
    If I had more room I would grow every year. When I move I hope to have the room to grow all and rotate beds. I grew sweet corn last year and man, that is also hard to beat. I will not be growing any next year. I got 65 ears this season, and they didn't last long! I actually gave most of them away. The sh2 hybrids are really excellent, the SE are good too, but if you like sweet sh2 is the way to go.
    Also they freeze better. I grew a few sh2 but mostly SE, and although they were good, they don't freeze well, so I handed them out to the neighbors. I will only grow sh2 in the future. The Illini Xtra Sweet Hybrid is top rate!!

To try and stay on topic (sorry!)
    Trade Winds Fruits offers seeds for an excellent price!!
    Charentais Melon seeds are $2.00 for 30 seeds.
    Burpee is 20 seeds for $3.95
    Trade Winds has an excellent selection! At least of fruits and vegetables they stock.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Fri, Dec 6, 13 at 10:52

• jtburton
    10 years ago

Henry Fields has an interesting raspberry: "Sweet Repeat⢠Black Raspberry". I believe it is the first commercially available primocane-fruiting black raspberry. Supposedly both crops are equally large, making it somewhat more than a fall-bearing raspberry. I believe this is the 'Niwot' variety.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

"Henry Fields has an interesting raspberry"

That's been around there for a bit, but yeah is interesting.
    My Fall Gold produces a large summer crop. i just assumed all of the fall bearers produce large summer crops. We need some key codes for these plants at Henry Fields! I would like to add another black raspberry, and that one is cool!

• jtburton
    10 years ago

You can get 50% all of the time. For example, key code 0617452 will do that. Occasionally, you can find that plus free shipping. At season's end (late spring) I have seen the 75% codes - that's when to stock up.

• jtburton
    10 years ago

You can get 50% all of the time. For example, key code 0617452 will do that. Occasionally, you can find that plus free shipping. At season's end (late spring) I have seen the 75% codes - that's when to stock up.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

"Henry Fields has an interesting raspberry: "Sweet Repeat⢠Black Raspberry".

I said that was around awhile but I was confusing it with the sweet repeat at Gurneys! (also check botanical name)

Here is a link that might be useful: The other sweet repeat

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

A.M. Leonard is offering free ground shipping until 4 pm,Monday 12/16.The code to enter is 12D13P. Brady

• gator_rider2
    10 years ago

Posted by shazaam NC 7B (My Page) on Thu, Dec 5, 13 at 20:04
    Indiana Berry has a couple of new berry releases that might be of interest to eastern growers -- Von blackberry and Flavorfest strawberry.

Thanks shazaam
    I been sleeping on this thread, Just order 5 Von Blackberry plants.

• gator_rider2
    10 years ago

VON blackberry plants be shipped March 4, 2014.

• jtburton
    10 years ago

Edible Landscaping has the new "Glencoe Purple Thornless Raspberry" available in April.

Description: Raspberry 'Glencoe' was developed by the Scottish Crop Research Institute. This incredible raspberry has spine-free canes which are easy to manage. The growth habit is bushy and less vigorous than most red raspberries, which are ideal traits for the homeowner market. The fruit has a lovely intense flavor that is enjoyed fresh or used for wines, sauces, and preserves.

• Scott F Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

EL also has the new Osage blackberry. I am excited about this one, its supposed to taste better than Triple Crown. The tasty western blackberries have not been very happy in my hot weather. Berries Unlimited is another source of Osage.

They also have a bunch of nice new pomegranates. There are lots of sources for hardy poms now: EL, Womacks, Rolling River, etc. EL also has the Peterson pawpaws. Finally the nurseries seem to be catching up with demand for these plants.

Scott

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!