Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best size/material for fruit tree containers?

Posted by Addie18 24 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 29, 12 at 17:15

I have ordered several naturally small-size fruit trees on medium vigor rootstock to espalier along my back fence. I was originally going to plant these in the ground, but long story short, I need to put them in containers now. What size container should I use? If all my dreams came true, these trees would grow relatively fast to their full size (which is small,) and would not need to be repotted since this would be a real pain given the communal trellis I have planned. Do the containers need to be extra huge and if so how huge?

Also, should I be concerned about toxicity of tree containers? For instance, if I get cheap pottery containers, could lead from the pottery into the fruit?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best size/material for fruit tree containers?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 29, 12 at 18:14

My experience is that most trees only last 4-5 years in 12-15 gallon containers. By then they are so rootbound that vigor drops off the chart. I'm not sure how much longer a bigger container would last. And I'd not want to repot an espalier of any size. My guess is that 6-10 years is all you're going to get without repotting even a big container.

Personally I won't worry about anything from the container material ending up in my fruit. Not like I would drinking an acid drink from the same material. But if I really thought it had lead I'd use a black polypropylene nursery pot inside the decorative one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here