Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
opinions on Black Ice Plum

Posted by windfall_rob vt4 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 29, 11 at 17:25

This hybrid has been out there a few years now I think. Anyone fruiting and have an opinion?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: opinions on Black Ice Plum

I'd be very interested to hear the answer to windfall_rob's question too. I recall that some one replied to an alike inquiry here I think last Fall saying taste/texture was fine, but size may have been an issue. Hopefully that will improve as the tree matures. No fruit yet for me.

I chose this variety for it's advertised hardiness, edible qualities, and maybe most importantly at least for me - early harvest. It will be nice to be able to extend the harvest dates to the early side of the plum season. This could also help out with any possible future Brown rot and bug issues. Hopefully all of these facts will prove out to be correct over time. At least am hoping so.

o

I tell you guys what...someone needs to get serious in breeding hardy plums. Crossing some of the hybrids with pluots and making a Flavor King type pluot hardy to about -30F :) Most of the hybrids (except Black Ice, which i know nothing about) seem like they were developed ages ago....

If I get some pluots (grown in containers), i'll try crossing them with Superior/Alderman/etc and grow out the seedlings...

o

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 30, 11 at 23:31

That name makes the fruit sound kind of dangerous- you have to be sure to not drive your car onto any. The next release in the series can be the Perilous Peach or the Menacing Mango...

Bob

o

I have done some further research on these plums this eve. The actual trade-name is 'Lydecker'. The licensed marketing name is the 'Black Ice'. I think I'd be tempted to try them regardless of their name ;>).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Franktank - I'd like to suggest to you, if you haven't already, to look up the 2012 Fedco Seeds catalog and check out their description on this plum. Maybe their is some sort of an opportunity for you to tour the plum breeding program at the U of Wisc in River Falls that it mentions. It sounds rather dedicated to me in their brief description. Maybe it could at least give you some ideas towards any of your own future efforts at plum crossing and to also report back to us.

o

Well, It sounds like we are all interested in this but no one yet has first hand experience. Perhaps in another year.

Does anyone know what is considered acceptable and legal practice when grafting in material still under patent? Is it as easy as finding some scion and then sending a couple of bucks to the university, or am I supposed to go through one of their licensed propagators like Fedco or SLN?

I have started a couple threads on plums the last few days, and should have probably kept them all together but alternatives keep occurring to me as I revisit my choices. So in that light. Anyone have opinions or experience with the SLN varieties "Vermont plum" or "Percy's"?

o

Send me an email, I have much of what is available for hardy plums which you can take scions from.

Eric

o

Eric, since you are growing so many hardy plums, please tell us what some of your favorites are. I can grow less hardy ones myself but find that a lot of good breeding has been going on for hardy plums and many work well for me -- along with hardiness from the Americans plums in the crosses comes the greater disease resistance I need. One of my favorite hardy plums now is Purple Heart, it has been reliable and very tasty for me. Superior is good but can get too mushy. Le Crescent is too bland and cracks.

Scott

o

I planted Black Ice last spring. I had the hardest time finding it as Jungs had sold out. I haven't had it fruit yet so I can't say anything about it. If you do want it, order early from Jungs. I believe it would be illegal to take scions from it and if you buy from a vendor then you're supporting the UW breeding program and hopefully we'll get more good plums from them.

o

I'd like to get cuttings of Waneta, Underwood, Toka, Pipestone and graft them all onto my Alderman tree (which I find very mediocre)... I have that and Superior.

I grafted Superior onto peach roots this summer...be interesting to see how it does.

o
scion

Looks like Fedco has a lot of plum scion... I really have no more room for more plum trees, although i will say that my family seems to perfer plums to peaches or anything else for that matter.

o

My black ice plum tree from Jungs got about a dozen plums the first year. They were small, but very delicious. And yes, it was an early plum. I live only about 15 miles from where it was developed, so assume it will be hardy for our area. Northwoodswis4

o

Eric,
I was hoping you would ask. I can't get to your e-mail through gardenweb. I just changed my profile to allow you to see my e-mail. I am told you need to cut and paste from there as the gardenweb submission form doesn't work.
Thanks

Athena, I am fully in support of plant breeders and have no problem with royalties...as I said. I just don't know how it works for scion....can't be more than the royalty on a whole tree, but perhaps it can only be done by previous agreement. I was hoping someone here might know the story better. I just can't quite bring myself to buy a tree just to cut scion from it.

Frank, Yes fedco is offering a bunch as scion. But I know there are several in their collection not on the list this year. Purple heart included.

o

Fruit, Berry and Nut Inventory 4th ed. from seed savers exchange has the following description.

Black Ice - Black skin. White flesh. Excellent flavor. Self-fertile. Ripens late August.

Black skin, I would my black ice plum skin color to be black. When ripening it turns from green to light purple to dark purple and then to black.

White flesh, I would not call the flesh to be white. Mine are mostly red flesh with a little bit of white just around the pit. google the pics for black ice plum and the pics that show the red flesh are like mine.

Excellent flavor, I definitely have to agree with this! The flavor is excellent, VERY sweet and juicy.

Self fertile, not sure about this one. What I can tell you is that I planted 4 jap/hybrid trees in fall of 2012 and spring of 2013. They were Black Ice, Bubblegum plum(Toka), Burgundy and Sweet Treat Plurrey. This spring I had hundreds of flowers on my Black Ice plum and only 6 or 7 on the Toka. Burgundy and Sweet Treat Plurrey had no flowers. Distance between tree trunks is 7'6".

Ripens late August. Way off on this one and the breeder's wife said in a post somewhere that it was around early August in Wisconsin. I had just 3 plums on my tree this year and can tell you that I just took them off the tree this morning and they are WAY OVER RIPE here in S.E. CT. Next year if I get some, I'd start checking them around July 25 to August 1.

The only other thing I can say is that the 3 plums width ranged from 1 3/4" to 2 1/4". Sorry no pictures, my camera died late last year and I never got around to buying another one.

My final thoughts are if you have room for another plum in your yard, this one is worth getting. Hope this helps you people on this board wondering about this plum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here