Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
second guessing winter storage for potted trees

Posted by cousinfloyd 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 24, 12 at 18:06

I just started putting some potted trees in an unheated building and then started second guessing my plan. I have pomegranates in pots that I want to let grow a little more before they have to brave the winter, and I have pawpaws in pots in order to keep them in the shade more easily until they're mature enough to plant out in full sun, and I have hardy kiwis in pots that I just haven't gotten in the ground yet. I was thinking this building which is just slightly below grade would be a good moderately cool place to overwinter them without freeze-thaw concerns. But now I'm wondering if it will be too warm? Do they need to be exposed to more chill hours than they'll get in a building (that will probably spend most of the winter in the 40s)? And it won't matter that it's completely dark, will it? Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: second guessing winter storage for potted trees

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 24, 12 at 18:29

If they have leaves and you want more growth, they will need light. But they aren't going to grow at 40s anyhow. That is a good temperature for chilling. Effective chilling temperatures are from 34-54F. The best storage temperatures are 30s. In the 40s after chilling is done some things will begin to grow. But growth is pretty slow until it gets into the 50s and 60s. Although 50s day and night will push surprising growth on early bloomers in spring. Stuff is primed to go at that time.

o
RE: second guessing winter storage for potted trees

The lack of light will not matter at all while the plants are dormant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here