Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruit Trees in Texas

Posted by insteng 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 6, 12 at 18:49

I have property about two hours south of Dallas. I have been trying to plant a variety of fruit trees on the place. I have a couple very large pecan trees, and a large fig tree there now. This year I planted peach, plum, pears, and blackberry plants. I will get some blueberry plants from my neighbor next year. I would like to get some apple trees. I am looking at Fuji, Golden Delicous, and Granny Smith. Is there any other varities that would be good for the area? Also is there any other type of fruit trees that you would recommend? I have 56 acres so I have plenty of space to experiment.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruit Trees in Texas

Bob Wells Nursery he best in that area to give advice located I20 North East of he easy to Google.

o
RE: Fruit Trees in Texas

I'd try a fuyu persimmon; eureka or giombo or hichaya persimmon; some jujube's-li, land, sugar cane. Also a Tomcot apricot. I hear good things about Mollies Delicious, I'm planting one now. Dallas is marginal for pomegranates but should do well for you, maybe a wonderfull or a sweet. My celeste fig is great

My favorite nursery is Womacks; you might google love creek orchards for some apple ideas; google lightsey farms to see what grows well in Mexia;google dallas fruit grower for a good blog

Texas A&M recommends for Dallas
Pear: Orient
Plum: Methley
Peach: Red Globe
Blackberry: Arapaho
Pecan: Caddo
Fig: Celeste
Persimmon: Eureka
Grape, white: Blanc du Bois
Grape, red: Champanel
Grape, purple: Black Spanish
Muscadine: Black Beauty
Citrus: Satsuma Mr. Mac
Apple: Mollies Delicious

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here