Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie Apple tree question.q

Posted by Eric580 5b (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 18:50

Well, I have a pot that I planted several apple seeds in it. One of them sprouted that next week (around July). The others didn't germinate, but one germinated a few days ago and winter is fast approaching. The oldest apple is starting to lose its leaves. If I bring the pot indoors will the oldest apple die? If I leave it outside will the small one die? What should I do to save both? Please help. Thanks in advance:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie Apple tree question.q

I'm not an expert but personally I would leave them outside. Apples are very hardy and based on everything I have learned, they need cold weather to mature properly. They've been doing this for tens of thousands of years.

o

Thank you dmtaylor. Now both apples will survive.

o

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 23:10

The one which sprouted in July should be fine. But if I read that correctly, the 2nd sprouted in December (which is kind of strange...). I think that 2nd one would die outside. Plants need time to harden off for the winter. If the seed just germinated in the past week, I don't see how it could harden off in time for a zone 5b winter. I'd say keep that one inside this winter in a south facing window and leave it out next winter. Or better yet, plant it in the fall.

o

where are you in z5??

in my z5 MI .. i would tuck then in on the north side of the house.. when the ground freezes .. i would tip over the pot ... and as i shoveled snow of the sidewalk .. i would bury it in snow .. if any ... the snow actually insulates then from frigid winter winds.. and temp spikes ..

they are a deciduous tree.. they were supposed to lose their leaves months ago .. i suspect you may have been feeding them .. trees dont need a lot of fert in a pot ...

the sprouting seedling is way out of phase or kilter.. who knows if that one will live..

dormant trees do NOT need a lot of water .. and i tip them over.. so a frozen pot.. will not accumulate rain or melting snow.. in frozen media ... roots need air as much as other things.. and freezing them into an ice cube is not helpful ...

and NEVER leave a black pot in winter sun.. it can warm and heat too much ... making the roots come out of dormancy while the rest of the tree is dormant ..

this is all about my z5 adrian MI ... and i am sure all colder zone ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here