Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best pollinizers for Dapple Dandy and Emerald Drop.

Posted by lyonsy 10 CA (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 19:43

Hello,

I have a Dapple Dandy and Emerald Drop pluot for three years and they bear very little fruit. I live in Southern CA. I also have a Santa Rosa , Late Santa Rosa, Weeping Santa Rosa, Satsuma and Burgundy plum...plus 3 large bee hives! Today I bought a Methley plum and was told it's flowering time should do the trick. Any thought? Many thanks. John.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best pollinizers for Dapple Dandy and Emerald Drop.

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 20:35

John:

What you already have should provide plenty of pollen. Both DD and ED set a lot of fruit for me every year. In fact I always end up thinning each at least three times. So if they are blooming at the same time as the others, they should both set fruit. Methley can't hurt but seems unlikely to turn the tide unless it's a bloom overlap issue.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 18:33

o

If these are early bloomers your best bet is to use mason bees. Try to attract tham by buiding a mason bee house. It works in Virginia.

o

Thanks for the answers. I have tried the mason bees before I had hives and they never seemed to settle here. However my bees will fly year round assuming the temps get up to 55 degrees, and it is that routinely here in our so called 'winter'. I will plant the Methley and it supposedly flowers early and we will see if that helps.

o

Often fruit trees bloom when the cool weather restricts the work of honey bees. You need to use mason bees. A mason bee is a solitary bee that lays its eggs in holes about 5/16 in in diameter. It is easy to encourage mason bees to pick your place as a home. Build a mason bee house (search the internet) and hang it up facing south or south east. Mason bees polinate 20 times more than honey bees and do not sting unless caught. They start work earlier in the spring than honey bees and begin work when it is still cool and wet. I put up a mason bee house last March and it is now full of mason bee larva.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here