Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting blueberry bushes in the middle of winter

Posted by dirtaddshp Z8 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 3, 13 at 19:48

Hello all,

I got some blueberry bushes this month and i have been keeping them by a window, but they do not seem very happy there. Can i plant them in the middle of winter, or will that more than likely kill them?

I am in Northern Georgia Zone 7/8

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting blueberry bushes in the middle of winter

As long as the ground is workable, by all means plant them.

o

They should be fine if you plant them now. I planted mine around December 1st last year with no problems. I put a lot of pine bark mulch to cover them up though.

o

Hi Dirtaddshp,
Yes, as all the others said before me, it is okay to plant it now. We are going to have some very spring like weather this week and the ground is workable. I just bought an Elberta Peach tree from the Home Depot and the only reason I bought it at this time of the year was because it was on sale and too good to pass up. It was just $5.00 bucks and in great shape. (Never mind the fact that I already have 2 other Elberta Peach trees! LOL) These trees produce wonderfully for me and I have no problems with them. I said all that to say that I will be planting that tree this Saturday and transferring another fruit tree in my small orchard. You should not have a problem at all planting your blueberry bush. Happy planting!

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 4, 13 at 10:26

Our blueberry shrubs are all dormant now, and completely free of leaves. I live in Madison, Wisconsin, and we have had several hard frosts with more cold weather expected in a day or two. But your shrubs are leafed out, I expect, as you are in Georgia. I think they will do better in the ground and perk up when you transplant them. To reduce stress, the shrub should be watered well before transplant, and the transplant should be done in overcast weather, if possible. If you have to transplant in sunny weather, then do it late in the day, when the sun is low. The idea is to keep sunlight off the leaves. When the leaves are in direct sun, they demand both water and nutrient from the roots. However, the roots are disturbed during transplant, and they do not work at 100%, so the plant is stressed, and the leaves will show this with brown edges and possibly a totally brown and dead leaf if the stress is severe. This is not an issue when the shrub is dormant, and that is why trees and shrubs are usually transplanted when they are dormant.

o

Ah okay thank you for all the feedback, i hope to have many berries in a couple years :-D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here