Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my peach tree's peaches

Posted by srp123au Sydney, Australia (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 3, 13 at 19:57

Hi,
earlier this year I realised my peach tree has leaf curl disease. Unfortunately I was told I shouldnt treat it until when the leaves are gone again. However, there are peaches on the tree that seem like they have stopped growing. How long does a peach take to grow? And will treatment lead to fully grown peaches?
Help is much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my peach tree's peaches

Are there a lot of Peaches on the tree?That grouping looks like it may have too many.There should be about 6-10 inches between each fruit for best growth.Maybe it's the angle of the camera shot. Brady

o

Hi Brady
Yes there are a few peaches on the tree probably more than 10.

o

Peaches have a growth pause at that point in the growth, they are hardening the seed shell. The growth should pick up soon.

There is no reason to treat curl now because it won't help. Spray lime-sulphur at leaf fall and before leaf-out. Based on how little curl I see in the picture it should not set your tree back too much this year.

Scott

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 4, 13 at 19:25

I wish my untreated trees looked like that.

o

thankyou
i just talked to the nursery lady who informed me that it was leaf curl originally and told me of the growth phases and that the biggest peach should be picked from the grouping so good grow occurs. She told me to pick off the leaves with the disease it was not the entire tree just some branches. thanks.

o

Did she mean,keep the biggest one and remove the others?That's what I'd probably do.
The infected leaves will most likely fall off and new ones will take their place,but the tree should still be treated when dormant.In any case,throw away or burn them. Brady

o

Yes, it does help to pick off and dispose of the leaves if there are not too many. I never need to spray for curl anymore because I pick off leaves the instant it shows up, and it doesn't come back there the next year.

Scott

o

By the photograph, It also looks like your peaches are not getting enough sun light. That will also keep them from growing.
Peaches need to be pruned to an open vase system so that the interior of the tree is exposed to the sun. Yours does not appear to be pruned that way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here