Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgirl_gw

Christmas present from NCGR Corvallis- kolomikta rooting advice?

milehighgirl
11 years ago

The cuttings I requested arrived today, long before I expected them. I need rooting advice. I am currently rooting fig cuttings, shall I use the same process for the kiwi, i.e. dip in 10% chlorine and let dry, then put in rooting hormone and into 50/50 seed starting mix and perlite and keep moist at approx 70F?

The figs are taking forever to root, how long should the kiwi take?

Is this a good time to start them or should I keep refrigerated and wait till closer to spring?

Thank you, and merry Christmas to all:)

Comments (5)

• lucky_p
    11 years ago

mhg,
    It's been years since I fooled with any kiwis - but I seem to recall that dormant cuttings don't root with very good success - but actively-growing shoots do. Seems like I recall folks recommending forcing growth from the dormant cuttings and then rooting the new greenwood shoots.
    But - I could be wrong; somebody more knowledgeable is bound to be along sooner or later...

• theaceofspades
    11 years ago

Figs do root better using the bag method. Wrap approx 8" long cuttings in damp paper towel. Leave about 3" uncovered and place in a plastic bag. Set in a warm spot for 2-4 weeks. The exposed end will callus and form small rootlets. Plant in soil medium with clear cover to allow buds to leaf out.

Dormant Kiwi cuttings don't root easily far as I know.

• glenn_10 zone 4b/5a NewBrunswick,Can.
    11 years ago

Hi milehighgirl, I have rooted dormant kolomikta cuttings . They root much differently than the Argutas. I have had very little success rooting them in doors as they seem to be very succeptible to fungus.Keep them in the fridge until spring. I have had the most luck rooting them outside in a shaded area which is on the northeast side of my house.The rooting medium I have found which works best is woodland mulch from the forest which is well rotted leaves, wood, etc. I guess you would call this HUMUS? Anyways kiwis are shallow rooted plants so I place the cuttings at a very narrow angle so the bottom of the cutting is no more than 2 inches below HUMUS level( basically what you would do if you were layering a branch). I first dip the cutting in some sort of IBA rooting hormone then stick it in the soil leaving just 1 node exposed and then place a flat stone ontop of the submerged stem.The stone keeps the moisture in the soil and I typically do not need to water the cuttings at all!!!! Just a little not on using the rooting hormone, from my experinces with the varieties I have typically the argutas seem to really benefit from it.If you scar the wood a little and dip,and add bottom heat, the cutting just explodes with callus and roots form at the hormone site.... Kolomikta on the other hand don't seem to react at all to the hormone treatment and bottom heat.The roots seem to form out of the node locations and not at the hormone treatmnet site! Thats why I bury all the nodes and simply leave one exposed.
    Good luck rooting ! I hope all works well for you! I think the kolomiktas are fantastic, nice mid to late summer fruit and no disease issues here at all.

Glenn

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, thanks for all your advice! I would have never guessed that I should just refrigerate them till spring.

What temp should the soil be before I put them out?

theaceofspades,

Regarding figs, I have put my cuttings in an egg incubator at 75F. They are laying sideways in a small plastic container with holes cut in the side for the top of the stems. They have not put out any growth or roots and it's been at least 3 weeks. My house is way too cold to just set them out somewhere but I think they are lacking light. There is a water reservoir to increase humidity. I have had no rot or mold but no growth either. Maybe they know it's not time to sprout and they are waiting till spring.

• theaceofspades
    11 years ago

Mgh, Try the bag method; wrap fig scions in damp paper towel, leaving a few inches exposed on the root end. Bag em up and store in a warm place like an incubator.When you see callus and rootlets plant them in a sunny window with a clear humidity cover, clear plastic bag or glass jar etc.