Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Sweet Trea't Pluerries Have Arrived

Posted by hoosierquilt z10a/23 Vista Calif (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 20:14

Got a call from El Plantio Nursery in Escondido a few days ago, where I had ordered two Sweet Treat pluerries earlier this year. Even though DWN had an issue with their field trees, causing a significant loss in the brand new 'Sweet Treat' Pluerries, since I was "first in line" at El Plantio, and even though they only got 1/2 the number they ordered, I was able to buy 2 of the 5 they were delivered! Getting ready to put them in the ground tomorrow. I'm going to have to pick up a Burgundy plum, since my Burgundy plum is down on the other side of my yard. Will be very interested to see how this do!

Patty S.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Sweet Trea't Pluerries Have Arrived

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 23:19

Patty:

Mine is a month out from Bay Laurel. They claim it topped the DWN taste testings the last three years. Have you seen anything about that? I can't find any numbers in their tasting reports.

o
RE: 'Sweet Treat' Pluerries Have Arrived

I spoke with Tom Spellmen about a month ago, at a presentation we gave (I spoke on citrus, Tom on stone fruit), and he said the same thing - outstanding flavor, one of the best interspecifics they've ever produced. Hope it does well for me. The two trees are short, but well branched, so hoping they establish well for me. Tom suspects there may be other possible cross pollinators as well, but for sure they know Burgundy plum will cross pollinate.

Patty S.

o

Patty.

Interesting looking fruit. I wonder if it will survive in my zone 5.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Pluerry from DWN

o

Hmm, not sure Tony. It is 9/16th's plum, so I would expect it to be more plum-like in it's habits. No chill hours known at this point, so growing them in my area may be a challenge due to my lower chill hours. I don't think anyone knows that the exact parentage of Sweet Treat pluerry, so can't estimate hardiness or chill hours based on parentage. You can always try emailing DWN to see what they have to say about your zone, though.

Patty S.

o

This is weird, groworganic.com as of today has them listed as in stock and ready for shipment. Before today they had them listed as sold out and shipment for Dec. 2013-Spring 2014 only.

Doesn't matter to me, I ordered mine with a burgundy plum in August from Sanhedrin Nursery and will be getting them this spring. ;)

Just thought this might be of interest for those on this board interested in obtaining one.

o

Picked one up this morning; I also have one coming with my SOFT order. Also picked up a Burgundy Plum, I figure I might as well have a guaranteed pollinator. My nursery only got five in and after my purchase had three left.

o

I copied this off of Wikipedia: "Sweet Treat: super sweet with hints of Thompson grape flavor, green, golden skin with yellow juicy flesh, late mid season"

I doubt this description fits. When you look at the photo it shows a fat cherry from being crossed with a plum. No green or golden skin but who knows maybe they were early samples.

Here is a link that might be useful: photo

o

Sun, Dec 30, 12 at 20:20

Maybe others have more sophisticated taste than me but these complex crosses usually just taste like what they look like, in this case a plum. If it tastes like Thompson seedless grape I don't see how it could have topped the taste testing three yrs running. Hopefully it's something special.

I've seen DWN/Zaiger discussions saying in effect that small 25-30 brix plums were a dime a dozen. Hopefully it's more than that also. To me it doesn't look at all like a cherry but exactly like a plum, flat seed and all.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 31, 12 at 0:58

I'm very tempted to order one from Groworganic but the $35 shipping for a $20 tree is hard to stomach.

o

I bet a large ripe sweet cherry tastes better..but i guess we'll find out. I'll give it a season or 2 before i add one.

o

Murky, go ahead and order one I did. $55 is not a lot because the tree can produce for many years. Fruit is essential. What I can't stomach is the fruit cracking or not setting after a few years of waiting for the tree to size up. Still there are ways to get some fruit from cross species hybrid trees, depends on how much you like fruit growing as a hobby.

o

Wed, Jan 2, 13 at 18:04

Ace, you are probably right. Good advice.

I've been trying to convince myself that I'll be happier in many cases, just spending the money up front when it means getting a head start or happier orchard. I've been messing around with some persimmon rootstocks for a year and a half now intending to graft them to varieties I like and I would have been much ahead if I'd just bitten the bullet and bought some trees up front.

I guess I'll have to find a source for Burgandy scion wood. I'd buy a Burgandy tree, but I already have 5 plum trees plus a peach I've grafted over and don't think I need any more plums.

o

Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 0:03

Looks like I missed the window if there was still one. It's now listed as out of stock. I'd convinced myself to order it along with a 3 in 1 curl resistant peach and the Black Beauty mulberry.

o

Murky I ordered the hybrid cherry plum the night before it was posted here. They haven't sent the tree yet just an acknowledgement of the order. Regards to your persimmon story mine is the same. Even the seeds take six months to germinate with bottom heat. Are you going to the HOS scion exchange?

I saw a cherry plum tasting on the DWN u-tube video (1:37). Looks golden like the one I described previously. This cherry plum I ordered is different by the looks of its photo. So I am wondering if we are getting the taste test winner.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zaiger hybrids tour

o

Ace,

Are you going to graft a Burgandy plum to your Pluerry or plant a separate tree? Toka (AKA Bubble gum) plum is a very good pollinizer, I just wonder if it can pollinates the Pluerry?

Tony

o

I have had 2 on order placed in early fall. I read someplace they stated other's would likely pollinate as well, but I ordered a Burgandy. The $35 shipping for up to 10 trees hurts on a single tree, but their offer of 10 trees shipped for $199 is hard to beat, so if you are ordering 5 or so trees might as well bumpt up to 10 trees. My order has always listed 1/4/13 as estimated ship.

o

Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 14:56

ace,

I'm definitely going to the scion exchange barring the unforeseen. I'll probably be volunteering again in some capacity.

Let me know if you need anything. I'm not sure what the status is with the Botner orchard which was typically a generous source of material for the exchange.

o

Way to go Murky volunteering is da best. Nick bought lots of scion wood to the exchange, hope the nephew is working the orchard. When I was there I brought Nick scion wood he did not have and he listed it. I still have the photo with Nick and the one with you and the two HOS volunteer ladies. I want to send a box of scions along to the exchange. We'll keep in touch.

Tonytran, my pluerry is going in a eight tree asian plum patch with 100 grafted varieties including Burgundy, a special pollinator tree will not be needed.

Some pluots(hybrids) are really tough to pollinate and they need pollinators grafted into the tree. In humid climates the pluerry may need Burgundy grafted in. I'll see what happens before I graft in Burgundy to get pollination.

This post was edited by theaceofspades on Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 18:59

o

Is pleurry compatible with sweet cherry? or only plum (and most likely peach/apricot)?

o

If you mean will a sweet cherry cross-pollinate the pluerry? No, not that DWN thinks at this point. Right now, just the Burgundy plum is known for sure to be a successful cross pollinator. The pluerry has a majority plum in its background (9/16 plum, 1/4 cherry, 1/8 peach, 1/16 apricot), so it appears that the cross pollinator will be a plum. Not sure if other plums/pluots will also cross pollinate yet, too new to know at this point.

Patty S.

o

Sorry...i meant grafting...can they bud it to sweet cherry?

o

It's on Myro, so probably that would be a no, Frank. But, you might be able to graft onto any good plum rootstock and have success, but you'd have to buy a 'Sweet Treat' to get budwood, as they're patented (of course), so no budwood available unless it's coming from your own tree.

Patty S.

o

Sounds right...not very good with genetics... I just see it does have some sweet cherry genes so I thought might work as an interstem, but I think they already have one of those now??? or maybe i just made that up!

I'd love one but everyone sounds out. Maybe next year I'll order one. Got to imagine large growers will sell these on a large scale for retail market (the fruit)?

o

Sounds like a fun and interesting fruit! Looking forward to sampling at the farmers market (cause there are no bareroots at our nursery)

o

I think we're more likely to see these pluerries at specialty markets/farmers markets since they are big. Kinda small, "golf ball sized". Commercial growers tend to grow big fruits, as that is what the mainstream grocery store shopper is interested in. But great for niche markets and dooryard orchards I think.

Patty S.

o

Maybe Costco will carry them :)

o

Woo hoo I am lucky. Sweet Treat pluerry was shipped last Saturday and I only ordered it a week before. They were sold out long ago and I saw it re listed when I got up at 2 am to put wood on the fire.

o

Ace-

Small stove or do you not load before you go to bed? I know my brother's cabin, we can usually load it for the night and by morning its time to reload... Its a small stove, but very efficient and the cabin is like 24x24.

Good call on the Pluerry. Hope its a winner so i can order one.

o

Frank, based on the past DWN interspecific releases the odds are not super good that it will work outside of California. I am particularly concerned about the limited pollinators because pollination is one of the bigger problems I have with their interspecifics.

Of course that didn't keep me from wanting to try one, I ordered one from Sanhedrin.

Scott

o

Ha ha! Yup... Its too tempting! I'll let you guys figure it out. I would imagine if it gets popular, given they allow it, other nurseries will start carrying it. I agree on the pollination. I'd probably have to force flowering under plastic early (March) and cross pollinate by hand...

o

I did not pre-order but since I read that bare roots were arriving at the local nursuries I stopped one on my way home from work this week. I got a Honeycrisp apple that I wanted and asked if by chance they got in any of the Sweet treats. they did so I happily brought one home.

I still need to get a burgundy since they had not gotten those in yet.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 15:51

Yeah, I saw five of these "Sweet Treat" Pluerries for sale at Sperling Nursery in Calabasas CA. Can't imagine they are too hard to find if I happened to stumble onto them. Didn't need one, so I didn't buy one. I bought a Thornless Boysenberry and a pony pack of Gaviota Strawberries instead.

o

Received from Grow Organic my Pluerry tree in very good condition. Yikes, Fedex shipping took 6 days, tree very dormant. This one tree was shipped in a huge box and roots chopped small. The branching structure looks good. The bark is smooth and light greyish. I cut an Alderman plum down and planted the Pluerry in between Flavor King and Santa Rosa with Superior behind it. The spot has lots of sun and nitrogen will force it's growth mid season. I will put a graft up in the Santa Rosa to get a lucky taste test next season.

o

Ace, my roots were the same way, guess typical of Myro, a pretty vigorous rootstock. Both my trees are pretty significant caliper, 7/8". Very happy with the quality of my Sweet Treats, and we'll see how the fruit tastes. I would really like to be able to get my hands on the green pluerry that may also be released. It was supposed to be superb, but I think it may only get released to the commercial side. So, the hunt may be on for a source for that.

Patty S.

o

Maybe I need to call Peaceful Valley I ordered mine 8/17/12 and they have not shipped yet. feeling a little left out.

o

strudeldog, I bet they ship on a schedule based on your location and zone in the USA. Most of us who have gotten trees are in California and in zones 9 and 10. Our bare root season starts in January - we put our trees into the ground in January, as things warm up pretty quickly here. They're very nice folks, and I'm sure they can tell you when they're planning on shipping to you.

Patty S.

o

Sanhedrin is doing that for me, they emailed saying they would ship my pluerry in early March. I'm sure they already mailed out all the California orders.

Of course this winter is so mild I could probably plant it anytime. Flowers were blooming yesterday, thats the first time I have seen that in January here.

Scott

o

Did anyone else notice the chill requirement on the DWN beta website? 850 chill hours. Yikes! I'll be pulling mine out in a few years if it is anywhere near that.

DWN Pluerry

Tom

o

Tom, I talked directly to Tom Spellman about the Sweet Treat chill hours, and he told me they now think it's more like "less than 500". They are still trying to collect more data on this interspecific. Tom also stated that 'Flavor King' pluot would also cross-pollinate the Sweet Treat, so more info than what you' seeing on this page. It will continue to be updated as more folks in varying areas grow this interspecific, no doubt.

Patty S.

o

Well I MIGHT get my Pluerry from GrowOrganic (Peaceful Valley) shipped next week. I have spoken to them several times since my order was initially stated to ship Jan 4th. Each time they stated they were waiting on part of my order ( Mulberries) to ship. Then around 2nd week of Feb they started stating everything in my order was in stock, but they were not shipping due to weather conditions they did not want the plants traveling through. I was then assured they would ship last Monday Feb 26th. They did not and when I discussed they stated my order was on hold awaiting a plant still. It seems they sold the plant they had already allocated to my order. I asked them when the plant would be coming in and they stated not this season. So why was my order still on hold? Why didn’t they contact me? Why did they sell the plant they already had set aside? I know many of you are very pleased with this nursery, but I am not. This order was placed early 8/17/12, and their customer service is not real accommodating for their mistakes. I half fear what my trees will look like on arrival, as most everything I ordered shows out of stock, so I am sure all my trees are the bottom of the barrel, as they are telling me the plants were not actually pulled earlier and placed in a sold area, but just kept in the general bins. Sorry to be complaining here, but if this is their typical service I will not order from them again. They will not ship me the tree next year when in comes in, they acted like it was a favor to deduct the price of the missing tree from the order. They initially refused to even reduce a percentage of shipping. I guess I should find out next week. They only ship out on Mondays, which I agree with but that’s about all I agree with them regarding.

o

Peaceful Valley is not known for good customer service. They are not scumbags like TyTy et al but they are a very big and busy place and are focused on getting the orders out the door in the most efficient way for them. I only order from them when there is no other place selling what I need. I got my pluerry from Sanhedrin, they are excellent. They are shipping it to me now.

Scott

o

How are your pluerries doing?

Mine leafed out three days ago.

o

Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 23:17

Mine has about 18 inches of new growth and a half dozen fruit. The fruit is still pretty small but the plant is several weeks behind the other pluot/plum.

o

Well leafed out, no fruit :-( The Burgundy plum planted with it was much slower to wake up, so no opportunity for cross pollination in this section of my yard.

Patty S.

o

Mine is blooming now. I don't have a Burgundy so it will be interesting to see if it gets pollinated. If the flowers all drop it doesn't mean a lot, recent transplants often do that even when there are plenty of pollinators about.

Scott

o

This tree was the last ones to leaf out: I planted mine on January 9th along with two peacotums. Then by Mid-February I added a Stella Cherry, followed by a Nectaplum (March 11th). By Mid-March all trees had leafed out, except for my pluerry�"I almost lost all my hopes on this one�"Nonetheless, I still gave it a chance. I had discovered that the reason that it didn’t leafed out along my other stone fruits was because it inherited the sleepy cherry genes--As we know most cherry trees are the last one two leaf out. I also found out that this tree needs at least two consecutive weeks of 70 F + weather (day temps) and a week of at least 50 F of night temperatures in order for the leaf buds to break dormancy.

o

My Sweet Treats leafed out early, like my low chill Minnie Royal and Royal Lee. My higher chill cherries leafed out later (Lapins, Royal Rainier, Craig's Crimson and Sandra Rose). Bellagold Peacotum was also on the later side, no fruit again this year, but it's looking much, much healthier than last year, so maybe next year I'll see fruit. I don't think cherries are always last to leaf out, except if they're high chill cherries. My sour cherries, however, certainly are late to leaf out. My Carmine Jewel is just now leafing out, as is the Crimson Passion. Evans is still dormant.

Patty S.

o

Nursery plants leaf out based on how deeply and how long they were chilled. I have two peaches planted side by side this spring which were planted at nearly the same time in my orchard. One is in bloom and the other is just starting to show bits of green. Wait until next year to make leafing out observations on the pluerry.

Scott

o

Scott-

What do the leaves look like (plum/cherry/pluot?) on these Pluerries?

o

Very true, Scott. Once your climate can have its affect. Since my pluerries were from California (direct from DWN to my local nursery in Escondido), sure they didn't have any signifcant chill. Probably something close to what I get here, actually. And Frank, the leaves look more plum-like to me. With a hint of cherry.

Patty S.

o

I had trees just coming out of dormancy from CA arrive at the start of March. I was advised to plant them even though we had freezing weather.The ground was workable. They went back into dormancy and the Pluot just broke dormancy again 2 days ago, the rest are still dormant. So yeah this year tells me nothing about when they leaf out. Also cherry trees here are not late, if anything the first to bloom! Trees are just starting to leaf out here, but for the most part I have yet to see a whole leaf on anything.

o

Quoting hoosierquilt:
“Well leafed out, no fruit…”

I don’t expect any fruit from my pluerry either, I pruned mine to 27 ½’’ because I thought (this is my second theory) that the branches and the flower buds were taking too much ATP energy from the leaf buds thus it was preventing them from leafing out.

I also pruned it to that size because every two to three weeks we had 55+ mph winds that were damaging the branches and the leaf buds. Therefore, I didn’t want to take any chances of losing my pluerry. Maybe next year I will have my reward.

o

I pruned my tree way back as well, and I was surprised there were some flowers on the short side shoots I left. I looked yesterday and fruitlets are forming. With plums they need to get about pea sized before you know if they will stick.

Scott

o

Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 8:36

Scott:

My little fruits are no bigger than the green fruits on the sweet cherry. But they are elongated, not round like a cherry. About half the flowers set. I think this will be a heavy setting fruit. Probably one needing lots of thinning. I seldom get fruit on a new tree. So all in all this is a good sign.

o

Well, shoot. I went out yesterday to see if maybe I missed a fruit or two, but nope. Nothing for me this year. I will have to await all your reports this season. But, I will say, they are certainly vigorous trees. Think they're all on Myro, which is giving them a boost, but I expected this complex interspecific to act more like the Peacotum. It's really growing fast, and in fact, I needed apply some higher nitrogen fertilizer as it appears to be a little chlorotic due to so much rapid growth. So, it will be a nice, robust cultivar I think.

Patty S.

o

Scott:

You have me confused when you say that you pruned way back your tree. I also ordered my tree from Sanhendrin and it arrived on April 8 which I planted the next day. From the graft to the cut on the main leader on mine was at 26". There were 3 branches of good size branching off at 9" and 10" in different directions above the graft. 2 more very small branches at about 17" and 19" above the graft.

Did you and I received that different of a tree from me that you had to do this? Was it that you asked them to send you the tree unpruned?

Thanks
Lance

o

Lance, I confess I don't really remember how it was pruned when I got it, all the trees blur together. I do recall doing some pruning on it and it is now in the 2' range tall.

Scott

o

Hello,
Just in case that you might be wondering, "how the pluerry fruits might look like?", Here is the answer: here is link from Los Angeles Times,
“It's a name game with hybrid fruits”
July 22, 2010:By David Karp, Special to the Los Angeles Times
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul/22/food/la-fo-fruit-20100722
Then click on PHOTOS: Check out these crazy hybrid fruits.
Pics: 6 and 27.

o

Here are the photos.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Hybrids

o

I'm surprised this sort of hybrid was possible. I was always under the impression that cherries were the most distantly related plants to the others in the Prunus genus. My understanding is you can't graft cherry to anything but another species of cherry & the same was true for pollination (and not all cherries will cross-pollinate...the north American cherries generally won't cross w/European or Asian ones).

o

There is another 50/50 cherry x plum hybrid named Nadia, not a Zaiger's, This was bred in Australia.

Cherry-plum hybrid ready for marketing in E.U., Turkey
http://theglobalfruit.com/blog/2013/03/22/cherry-plum-hybrid-ready-for-marketing-in-e-u-turkey/

UNIVEG Katopé UK & AIGN agree a deal for new Cherry Plum

http://www.univeguk.co.uk/marketing/univeg-katope-uk-aign-agree-a-deal-for-new-cherry-plum

o

"Scott-

What do the leaves look like (plum/cherry/pluot?) on these Pluerries?"

This tree inherited three out of the four physical phenotypes from its parents (cherry x plum x apricot x peach).

Some of the leaves resemble like those of Bella Gold peacotum, Ovate like that of an apricot, the rest have the shape of a cherry, corrugated, but with the texture of a plum.

The bark on the main trunk (two year old wood) is green-grey and this years new growth (branches) are green just like that of a peach. On the other hand, the flowers buds look like a plum.

o

I think that my pluerry might now make it:

It started leafing out early April, and it was growing very well, but then by late April we had a week of 90 F + weather. As a result, the tender leaves got severed sunburn, and to make it worst the tender young branches wilted and then they died. Therefore, I moved it into a shaded area, yes it's planted in a pot. The bark is still green so I am hoping that it will leaf out again.

o

I meant "not make it".

o

I meant "not make it".

o

"I meant "not make it"."

That sucks. Oh well get another one! I know I'm getting one next spring if I can find a vendor not sold out!

o

That's so odd, weatherman. It must have to do with being in a pot? We had a freakishly hot day this week, we went from 70 to 100, then back down to 70. My 'Sweet Treats' are in the ground, and no affect. Do you think perhaps your tree was on the dry side? We can get hot weather in the spring like that where I live (N. San Diego county, Calif), but I've never seen that happen either with my trees in the ground, or at a nursery. Hope your little tree will revive itself. Stone fruit trees are amazingly resilient. Why is it still in a pot? Will it be staying in a pot?

Patty S.

o

(I live in the High Desert in California).

My pluerry is planted in a 12,13,15? gallon green pot with a brand name potting soil mix (MG), I water it every 10-11 days and I have to say that the soil still had at least 60-80% moisture. So I don't think that under-watered my pluerry---I blame the drastic changes in temps.

Same thing happened to my two potted peacotums: They leafed out and grew about 10 inches but then they went into a transplant shock (they also suffered from sun burn), as a consequence, they stopped growing for about three weeks---Two weeks ago they started leafing out again and they are doing great.

For now it will stay in a pot, including my two peacotums, Spice Zee nectaplum, and flavor delight aprium---both of my aprium and nectaplum never went into a shock, I think that they are way more vigorous than other hybrids--so far I have not had any problems with these two trees.

They will be staying in a pots because I am a young guy in his early 20's who still lives with his parents---I don't want to plant them in my parents' yard---So when I get my own home I will be planting them in the ground.

Ulises B.

o

Oh, okay. Your area explains what has happened. Your "hot days" will far eclipse mine, 6 miles from the coast :-) Glad to hear your Peacotum is doing well. Both Fruitnut and I weren't too sure if this complex interspecific was going to make it or not, in either of our orchards. I will say, this year it is doing much better, but it looked pretty puny last year. No fruit, yet, so hoping year 3 is the charmer. And, I am very impressed that someone in their early 20's has developed such an affinity for fruit trees and gardening. Makes me very happy :-) My oldest daughter loves to garden, but she's in her early 30's - took her a bit to get her gardening groove on, but she's doing well with her little space. My youngest daughter in her mid-20's loves to visit gardens, adores roses, but not ready to be responsible for a plant. She managed to kill an ornamental pomegranate I gave her, so I planted up a succulent arrangement, which so far, has tolerated her forgetfulness in watering, lol!! It is still alive, 4 months down the road, so maybe there's hope for her, yet. Middle daughter is terrified to garden, she's afraid she'll "kill everything", lol!!

Patty S.

o

"Hope your little tree will revive itself"

I think that the temps might cooperate this month (Ca High desert), Friday and Sat temps will be in the high 70's, then in the low 90's (monday), then dropping back to the 80's and high 70's. Then climbing back to the 80's.

(There is a chance that we might have a cool summer in Soca--I give 40% chance for now; I give 60% chance that we might have a roller coaster of temps for Soca).

o

Wow, you are young! I'm 56 and well not that many years left, so every season is important! You're going to be an awesome grower one day no doubt! Gaining so much experience at such a young age. Don't stop! I actually became interested in my teens. I just didn't grow fruit, but grew tropicals. I have plants that I have had for 38 years! Hey and in pots too! So don't ever let anybody tell you, you can't do it. I have plants that are older than when you were just a twinkle in your mother's eye! So it can be done! The move to edibles was a few years ago, and I do have a lot of experience growing plants, so I had a huge advantage to a pure rookie. Still, they are quite different and I made some dumb mistakes.
Myself when I make a stupid rookie mistake, it really irks me, as losing a year is a major thing. I lost a year on 2 trees, and I'm very upset about it. Well I JUST bought a replacement. late in the year even for here, but I can still save time by replacing it now. Luckily Grandpa's is still selling for a couple more weeks. The other tree is OK, but I may have to cut it back again as the scaffolds are poor. I will grow another leader and cut it back, thus losing at least a year. At least I have 6 trees doing very well. I'm also very excited as tomorrow or Monday my Romance series cherry, Cupid is suppose to arrive. I will have three in this series. The others are small but doing very well.

o

Fri, May 17, 13 at 11:13

Ulises:

I'm curious, what makes you think the soil in your pots has 60-80% moisture 10-11 days after you watered? Are you talking 60-80% of the maximum possible?

The reason I ask is that what happened to your potted trees (dead leaves, sun burn, stopped growing, etc) is not normal. It's not likely due to one tree being more vigorous than another, your weather, or any such thing. Instead it's likely you're not watering enough.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Fri, May 17, 13 at 11:29

o

"Instead it's likely you're not watering enough. "

Sounds right. i water my plants almost daily now and I'm in Michigan! They suck it down like they never seen it before.
I have watered everyday the last 4 days. I do use a lot of peat in my pots though, and in my raised beds. My plants and trees are growing very fast right now too!

o

quoting fruitnut:
"I'm curious, what makes you think the soil in your pots has 60-80% moisture 10-11 days after you watered? Are you talking 60-80% of the maximum possible?"

After not watering them for about 10 days, I decided to test how much moisture the soil still had, therefore, I squeezed some soil and to my surprise a small stream of water dripped from my hands. So I could surely say that the soil still had at least 60% moisture.

quoting hoosierquilt:
"Glad to hear your Peacotum is doing well. Both Fruitnut and I weren't too sure if this complex interspecific was going to make it or not, in either of our orchards. I will say, this year it is doing much better, but it looked pretty puny last year. No fruit, yet, so hoping year 3 is the charmer..."

My two peacotums already have flowers buds for next season, they are tiny though--but I'm glad that I will have some fruit next year.

"I am very impressed that someone in their early 20's has developed such an affinity for fruit trees and gardening."

Thanks.
I plan to patent some of my hybrids in the next ten years--I have to evaluate them first.

I have a Moorpark apricot (Pollen parent) x Santa Rosa plum (seed parent) hybrid, and some Myrobalan plum hybrids:

Seedling UBNC24--red leaf tree: Mariposa plum, seed parent, X Krauter Vesuvious plum, pollen parent.

Seedling UBNB24---olive green to rusty red foliage: Kruater Vesivious plum, Seed parent. Pollen Parent could be either a Satsuma plum or a Santa Rosa plum.
Seedling UBNA24.

Seedling UBNA24---Olive green to purple foliage: Kruater Vesivious plum, Seed parent. Pollen Parent, probably a Moorpark apricot.

o

"Hope your little tree will revive itself"

I giving a 40% chance. Sad.

o

Half of the rootstock looks great and half looks that is struggling.

o

I mean, Half of the rootstock looks great and the other half looks like is dying.

o

"Instead it's likely you're not watering enough. "

Or the tree was defective?

This tree leafed out around April 13th which is kind of late for a tree to leaf out in April (here in the High desert), all of my bare root trees, including three rootstocks, that I ordered this year leafed out by early March, even the ones that we planted in our community garden leafed out by early March.

To be honest, the reason that my pluerry leafed out was because I fertilized it with the B vitamins and the Myco Fungi, otherwise it wouldn't had never leafed out. when it was dormant, I watered it at least every four to six days. So, I don't think that irrigation was an issue.

My second theory: I believe that it leafed out so late was because both of the cherry and peach genes might have delayed from breaking dormancy . Cherries, like bing, here in the High Desert, usually start blooming around mid-March and leaf out by the end of March. Whereas peaches, here in the High Desert, start blooming around early-March and leaf out by the Second week of March.

o

Sun, May 19, 13 at 14:29

weatherman:

If you squeezed water out of your potting soil as the plants were burning up then your potting mix may be too compact and wet. That could also cause the plants to stop growing and lose leaves.

Whatever the cause what's happening to your potted trees isn't normal or right. You'd do better asking questions rather than proposing so many theories based on little or no evidence.

o

And maybe just re-pot with better draining potting mix? Fruitnut, do you use the MiracleGro Garden Mix for all your potted stone fruits? Maybe that's all weatherman needs to do - just get the tree in some better draining potting mix.

Patty S.

o

Sun, May 19, 13 at 16:20

Patty you could be right but it's difficult to repot now unless the tree is leafless. In that case he'd be lucky if it wasn't dead.

I've gotten rid of most of my potted trees. Had good luck with a very well drained local organic mix. But any largely organic mix can breakdown over time, become compact, and waterlogged. This will be followed soon by a dead or rapidly declining tree..

o

Thanks everyone for all of your input and tips.

I used a mixture of 40% Miracle gro moisture control potting mix, 40% Supersoil potting mix, and 20% desert sand in all my potted trees. All my potted trees* received the same care and all are located in the same location. All of my trees are doing great; my peacotums have leafed out again, they not even show any signs that they went into a shock.

I think that my pluerry is dead. Sad. I will be ordering at least two next year.

* Potted trees: I have one Flavor delight aprium, two Bella Gold peacotums, and one Spice Zee nectaplum.

o

weatherman, do a scratch test before you toss your tree. Hit it with some root stimulant as well and see if you can get it growing some roots again. You may be right, however, if the rest of your trees don't stay as wet. This could be an indication that your tree was dying, and simply not pulling up water. Also, just a recommendation - never add sand to potting mix. It simply compresses and fills in all the air spaces, suffocating your tree roots. You're better off with perlite.

Patty S.

o

fruit-

What would that mix consist of? I have so many potted plants, but just usually toss together what i have on hand (lots of wood chips/perlite/some compost...etc...)

o

Sun, May 19, 13 at 22:49

frank:

Lightly composted wood chips used for rat bedding. It's free, light weight, drains well, and usually lasts several years. Buying anything gets expensive and my experience with purchased potting soil is poor. It usually breaks down, sets up, and becomes water logged rather quickly.

o

My Pluerry is officially dead. I pulled it out today, and guess what?

The rootstock was the problem, the roots were so brown from inside and out that I think that they died a week ago. They only put out about less than five inches of new roots. There were so signs of root rot or problems with soil--didn't smelled bad.

o

Mon, May 20, 13 at 9:16

weatherman:

Chances are high that the real issue was some fault in the cultural system not the rootstock. Sure the rootstock looks bad on a dead tree but it's not likely the cause. If you want to be more successful next time look elsewhere than blaming the roots.

I hope the rest of your trees do well.

o

Maybe next year I need to be more cautious and more responsible taking care of my pluerries. Thanks fruitnut for all of your feedback.

My trees are doing well, all of them will survive--they look very healthy.

o

As far as potting soil, or any soil, it all breaks down. You have to replenish it. Add humus, manure, mulch. All my potted plants have mulch. I use pine hay. It works it's way into the soil, keeps it aerated, adds nutrition. I top with humus/manure mixes sold at all garden centers. or compost. Add more pine hay, etc,
All high end potting soil is going to have perlite, so how it becomes water logged is unknown to me? I have never had this problem. Add peat every year if that is a problem. Mix it with compost. I always use fresh potting soil when transplanting. The old stuff goes to fill holes in the yard, or line the bottom of a new raised bed, thrown in the garden. Often as the soil breaks down, it adds room in the pot to add more.
I always add organic matter to the garden too. Nut shells, coffee. I usually start new raised beds by composting. Yard waste, kitchen waste, coffee grounds, shredded leaves, sticks, anything organic. It adds to the soil for years. Then cover it with garden soil, peat moss, humus/manure. I often top coat it with high end potting soil. I have a new 8x12 bed and just threw in the evergreen trimmings from my evergreen hedge I just trimmed. great material for composting.lasts a long time breaking down slowly.
Every year I replenish the beds with well broken down compost. I'm now covering the organic material. The grass in there is old sod, a fantastic source for nitrogen.

o

Quoting Drew51:

"That sucks. Oh well get another one! I know I'm getting one next spring if I can find a vendor not sold out!"

I’ll be getting tree next year. Raintree Nursery is probably going to carry them next year. This is what they told me,

“We will most likely be carrying the Sweet Treat Pluerry in 2014. You may make your order sometime after August. This is when we will know for sure.”

o

I mean three. oops.

o

Thanks weatherman for that info. i would rather get one from raintree as bay laurel has to send out not later than the first week in March, which really is way too early for here! I can still order now from raintree! I just put a tree in today from grandpa's. A nice bareroot! Since I only have room for one more tre, no doubt they will release another Pluerry, a crimson fleshed one this time...

o

I wish that DWN would release the Dapple Fire pluot---(no apricot involved, actually a peach x nectarine x plum hybrid), I love this pluot very juicy and sweet, better than flavor king and flavor finale pluots. And the Fall Fiesta plum, its going to be marketed as a Fiesta Fall Peapluerry because it has peach x plum x nectarine (from Dapple fire pluot) x cherry in its parentage---to home gardeners.

o

Weatherman, have you asked the folks at DWN if they have plans on releasing these cultivars to the public (and not just to the commercial side)? They usually do a nice job of answering questions on their Forum.

Patty S.

o

They probably won't release the peapluerry to the public, here is what Craig said:

"Sorry, Fall Fiesta interspecific is not available for home garden/retail. As a new variety intended for commercial production, it will be limited in its distribution and plantings will be monitored.

Additional Prunus complex interspecifics for home growing are in the development pipeline.

Craig"

http://www.davewilsonforums.com/index.php/showthread.php?t=11441

I''ll ask them today if they are going to release the Dapple fire pluot sometime in the near future.

I have the feeling that they might release something new next year, I think that is going to be another pluerry.

o

Here are my trees.

Black pot: Flavor Delight aprium, on marianna 2624.

Blue pot: Multigrafted tree--Goldkist apricot and burgundy plum, on lovell..

Left white pot: Bella Gold peacotum, on citation rootstock.

Green pot: Bella gold peacotum, on citation.

Right pot: Estella cherry, on GM61/1.

Grey pot: Spice zee nectaplum, on Lovell.

Big green pot: (where my pluerry used to be), open pollinated myrobalan plum seedling, pollen parent probably a moorpark apricot.

Brown wood pot: my own hybrid--a purple leafed seedling (Mariposa plum,seed parent) x myrobalan plum, pollen parent)

pink pot: colt rootstock (Raintree)
grey pot (behind blue pot) krymsk 1 rootstock ( Raintree), followed by Marianna 2624 rootstock (Raintree nursery)..

Background, black pots: My own proprietary seedlings--peach x nectarine, open pollinated elberta peach seedlings, and two apricot x plums hybrids.

o

From another angle.

o

"I have the feeling that they might release something new next year, I think that is going to be another pluerry"

That would be cool! Do we know another exists? I think we would know as they often have fruits available for tasting etc.

o

Itheweatherman, wow bonsai fruit trees! IMHO you need way bigger pots!

o

I have read that they have at least three varieties, one is a green pluerry, the other one is a cherrum (75% cherry-25% plum), one looks like a small plum, and the other one looks like a 50-50 cross.

"It's a name game with hybrid fruits"
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul/22/food/la-fo-fruit-20100722

"Itheweatherman, wow bonsai fruit trees! IMHO you need way bigger pots!"

I'll replant them into bigger (12 gallon?) pots next year.

o

Placed my sweet treat pluerries (2) orders today.

o

Great weatherman! I'll have to see what DWN has new this season. I need to replace a couple of trees that my gardener managed to kill. Both were extremely hard to get, so hoping I can find them again. Was pretty pissed about that.

Patty S.

o

They are releasing an atomic red nectarine and a dapple supreme pluot---way better than dapple dandy pluot but not as great as a flavor king pluot.

o

Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 11:02

Just my opinion based on 5 fruit from a first year tree, but I think Sweet Treat is another gimmick like Bella Gold. I'll keep my ST another year but the taste is going to have to improve. The fruit this year tasted good but not as good as Flavor King and only 1/10 the size.

o

Well, a bit disappointing. I was also a little disappointed to see such little cherry in the makeup of the Sweet Treat. Fruitnut, did you give your Bellagold the shovel treatment, yet? No fruit for me again, this year, but the tree looks healthier. I'm going to give it one or two more season, then it will met it's destiny in the compost pile.

Patty S.

o

Patty, what trees are you needing to replace?

o

Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 12:26

Patty:

My Bella Gold got the axe right after harvest. It was an easy decision. The tree wasn't healthy, didn't set well at all, had mediocre fruit, and Orangered ripening at the same time was way better. You don't have the Orangered option, very high chilling, but probably have something else better.

o

Sweet treat pluerry patent published, it's patented as "sweet pixie 2". Peach parentage comes from Tri-lite peach-pum.

Patents in class plt/180

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here