Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
codym17

most ornamental blueberry

codym17
9 years ago

Want to plant some blueberries in the front yard, only place there is room. Looking for suggestions on the most ornamental variety, appreciate suggestions fro m those who have grown multiple varieties. I Live in northern ia z4. Patriot is at the top of my list so far. Thanks for any suggestions

Comments (11)

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

I grow lots of different ones,not Patriot yet,but the most colorful in the Fall is the old favorite Jersey.Most Northern Highbush Blueberry plants look similar during the growing season,only varying in size and shape somewhat and they all lose their leaves during dormancy. Brady

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Great photo Brady! I was never able to capture the color that well. I also grow Northerns. But I like the idea of edible lanscapes and the Brazelberries look interesting. Tight small bush forms with excellent color. They only grow 1 to 2 feet high. Cara's Choice and Bountiful Blue have a bluish foliage in the summer. But probably too tender for zone 4.
    Here's a couple of mine in the fall.
    Toro
    {{gwi:54345}} Chandler
    {{gwi:125958}}
    Liberty
    {{gwi:125824}}

• codym17
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the pictures! Will def add a cpl jersey to the list

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Cross pollination is recommended for these, if you don't have suitable partners nearby you should probably arrange for that.

• MrClint
    9 years ago

Bradybb, that plant is truly stunning. Thanks for sharing!

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

Thanks,the first Fall the Jersey showed the changing foliage,stunning was a fitting description.Still remarkable every year. Brady

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

It does look stunning, but it also looks like color was adjusted. Sort of like this.
    {{gwi:54345}}
    {{gwi:2121915}}

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

How was that done Drew?I took the photo with my phone and although it's not like an expensive camera,it's decent.
    A neighbor came by once and exclaimed how brilliant the bush was.He said something about being like some of the trees that turn a fiery red.
    Why not pick one up or I can send some.I have some rooted cuttings.They are one of the easier Blueberries to propagate. Brady

• cousinfloyd
    9 years ago

I'm quite sure this wouldn't be of any relevance to zone 4, but of the rabbiteyes -- I grow 18-20 different rabbiteye varieties -- Bonita has been my most outstanding blueberry for fall color, but it seems like they're all very nice.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Brady sorry, I'm sure it looks awesome! Mine I think are almost as red, I could not get a shot with sunlight. it was overcast forever. I will pick one up in the future for sure. It's been around forever for a reason! In Microsoft preview you can fix photos and manually adjust tint. My neighbor has burning bushes, and yes they are a brilliant red! Lovely looking! Thanks for posting that! I just wanted to make sure it really was that color, I believe you. I could have just asked! My bad and my apologies.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

That's okay Drew,I can understand in this day of Photoshop and other apps,things can be made to look completely genuine.
    Yes,the Burning Bush.There are some planted where I work.That's close to the Fall color of Jersey.Maybe a nickname could be the Burning Blueberry Bush.:) Brady

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area