Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlbean2004

Will this rodent damage kill my tree?

tlbean2004
9 years ago

I posted this question on another forum and have not gotten any answers yet.

please advise

here is the link

Here is a link that might be useful: original post

Comments (11)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

Tlbean:

I like your dog, he's handsome. I came to your defense, in a manner, on that other thread.

Speaking of your dog, that looks like dog damage to me. I don't think it will kill your tree, at least not in the next couple yrs. Some protection would be in order. We have many pet damaged trees reported here.

If the same thing happens when the tree is growing and bark slipping, damage will be much worse because the bark will likely be stripped. Dormant with tight bark not nearly as damaging.

• clarkinks
    9 years ago

Rodent gnawing damage typically goes the circumference of the tree and when they girdle the tree in that way it dies. The Cambian layer of the tree offers them nutrition when there is nothing else around to consume such as happens during a heavy snow. That does not look like the damage I would expect from rodents but whatever caused a cage built around it should prevent any further damage.

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

Cover to protect from further damage and paint in the spring to prevent drying out at the edges of the injury. It will likely be ok.

Like Clark says and fruitnut eluded to, that does not look like typical damage from rodents.
    I too would be looking towards the dog with suspicious eyes, but honestly it doesn't really look like damage from a dog either (at least to me). so please, don't go and whip the dog or anything. It could have been caused by anything.

This post was edited by Appleseed70 on Mon, Dec 29, 14 at 12:34

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, my dog is tied up so it could not have been him and i doubt another dog was in my yard without my knowing.

It was either a rabbit, vole, squirrel, or maybe even a cat.

• Tony
    9 years ago

I would build a ring fence around the tree to prevent future damage. Your tree will recover in due time.

Tony

• insteng
    9 years ago

I doubt it will hurt your tree. I've got a couple trees where deer have scraped all the bark off one side of the tree and they healed up with no problem.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    9 years ago

The tree is damaged pretty badly. What is the damage on the back side?

It seems the tree is a decent size. And the damage is very low. So it will be such a pain to retrain it.

If the back damage is little, then your best bet is to keep it.

But if the back damage is substantial, then it is better to take drastic measure now. A severely (bark) damaged tree is weak. You could cut off the damaged wood and retrain it. And hope new branches come out. Or just replace the tree.

• glib
    9 years ago

frankly, I have seen much worse. but if it is really a rodent (I do not think it is) it will return. if the damage stays like that, no problem. Place a tree protector around the trunk ASAP. Grandpa's Orchards sell them, for example.

• clarkinks
    9 years ago

As mentioned you can paint those wounds with pruning seal and the rest of the trunk as well for now. A mouth full of pruning seal goes a long way in convincing them not to chew on your tree again. Once you get a cage around it that should take care of it.

• tim45z10
    9 years ago

Did you find the pieces of bark that are missing?
    Just curious, I have no clue as to the culprit.

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No i did not find the pieces of missing bark. But i really did not look.
    I hope what ever did the damage does not come back!!!