Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kokos_gw

Very High Calcium levels in soil good for my apples?

kokos
13 years ago

I have off the charts calcium levels in my soil in Greece. They are measured "very high" from the lab that did the test. What I would like to know does having very high calcium levels help alleviate common calcium problems with cultivars such as: Honeycrisp, Mutsu e.t.c. that need high calcium into the fruit itself.

Basically, what I would like to know is will I have to apply less calcium spray's to my apples in these very high calcium soil levels?

Comments (10)

• alan haigh
    13 years ago

The sweet spot for apples seems to be at about 7 although they grow fine in more acidic soil- I've seen healthy trees down to the low 5's. I suspect your soil in Greece is excessively alkaline. Certainly anything over 7.5 will begin to create nutritional problems for apples.

The theory is that if you have a pH around 7, apples will be better able to draw the calcium they need from the soil but it doesn't seem to work out that way with the varieties you mention or many others as it is very common for commercial growers to apply foliar calcium even if their soil is neutral. Some of this need is to address storage issues.

• kokos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

the ph is 7.7 and the soil level of calcium is 7700 ppm

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    13 years ago

kokos:

I'm thinking that calcium is not avaliable to your apple trees. In Washington state, as in nearly all the western USA, soil Ca levels are very high. They still have problems with bitter pit and need to spray their apples with Ca. I've seldom had an issue and don't spray Ca. But I usually don't store apples for more than a couple months.

• applenut_gw
    13 years ago

Kokos;

Your soil pH means chlorosis will be a problem; you should also check your iron to see if it is low. You may need to amend with soil sulphur and iron if you get a lot of white leaves on the new growth tips.

• kokos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Iron levels are indicated as "high". I haven't seen any white leaves. The growth looks healthy in my pear trees that I've planted. But I will add some soil sulphur for sure.
    thanks

• Beeone
    13 years ago

Your soil test iron readings can be quite good and you will still get chlorosis if the pH is too high. With your pH, it is a possibility.

Some trees are more susceptible to iron chlorosis than others, too. You don't need to try to drop the pH unless lowering it will attack other problems also. Otherwise, just watch the leaves and if chlorosis starts appearing, add sulphur or iron sulphate. When I've had iron problems, I like the iron sulphate. It works quickly and doesn't require large quantities as it would if I were trying to permanently alter the soil pH.

• kokos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Is that why a few of my pear trees is not producing growth....it's trunk's are growing but they have put out little growth this year. The leaves look kinda white and slightly crispy. Different than pear trees in North America that have soft and greener leaves.

Can my pear trees die in this condition of 7.7 ph?
    Too bad I have to go to Greece and fix the problem, I'm in Canada now. I will need to add some Iron Sulphate around each tree. Pear trees are most susceptible to chlorosis, more so than Apples a nursery guy told me...I just didn't understand what chlorosis was when he told me.

thanks all.

• kokos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Is Iron Sulphate better quality than just regular sulphate?
    I know that there is Iron in the first one I mentioned.
    I hear it is $$ costly.

• kokos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bump

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    13 years ago

Iron sulfate is much quicker acting than elemental sulfur. Sulfur is best for long term lowering of soil pH. There are many sulfate compounds but most don't help with pH issues.