Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Potted Mulberry Breaking Dormancy

Posted by shazaam NC 7B (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 21:09

I bought a small Shangri La mulberry from Edible Landscaping last month. It's still in the quart pot in which it arrived -- I'd planned to move it to a larger pot in early spring. In the meantime, I've been keeping it outside except on nights when temps dip below 30 or so. Apparently, though, I've inadvertently woken it up, because the leaf buds are breaking open and greening up. Is there any chance that I can slow or stop the process by moving it under my house, where it's very dark and the temp stays in the 40s and 50s?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Potted Mulberry Breaking Dormancy

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 23:15

40s and 50s will slow but not stop growth. To stop growth you'd need low 30s. After it leafs out it will be pretty freeze sensitive.

o
RE: New Potted Mulberry Breaking Dormancy

You could just bring it into the house near a south facing window for them winter. Its not going to fruit for several years so the period of dormantcy isn't important yet anyways.

One a side note, I've found that to be a tough tree to grow in NC. The deer go for its leaves before anything else. Mine are down to their roots and if I can get them started again, I plan to leave them in pots on the screened porch until I can train them to a single stem about 5ft tall. Once they clear the deer's reach I'll put them back in ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here