Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Egg Sac ID???

Posted by bucky130 6 PA (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 21:18

Was out doing a little pruning on my pear trees today. Saw a few of these. Never saw them before. Ripped one apart and it is very tough, sorta leathery. Finished cutting it in half and some yellow "guts" came out. Anyone have any idea of what this could be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Egg Sac ID???

reminds me of praying mantis

hope you saved them

ken

o

A good read if try save don't forget read step 1 and 2

http://www.ehow.com/how_5545212_hatch-praying-mantis-eggs.html

o

in z6.. you might want to think about bringing them in the house to hatch.. unless you have some plan what the heck to do with them when you have 50 million of them.. and 2 months of winter left.. lol ..

they are fully winter hardy.. so they can be left in the garage .. as long as.. YOU REMEMBER TO TAKE THEM OUT IN LATE SPRING... and then just tie them back into a bush.. and let nature take its course ...

these things are commonly mail ordered.. and that is what you would receive in the mail ... you just saved yourself 25$ .. lol ...

ken

o

There is no reason not to leave it where you found it--obviously if they are laying eggs, the mantids are happy in your garden. Although ripping it apart might have been a RIP for the little guys:(

Carla in Sac

o

i have mowed my wildflower prairie and found chopped pieces.. they will hatch ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here