Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alan8_gw

dwarf cherry

alan8
16 years ago

I just planted a Cherry Carmine Jewel I bought from Gurneys. Anyone had any experience with these or any type of dwarf cherry? I bought it as an experiment. I don't know if it will work here in So. Alabama. Any suggestions? I've never tried growing any kind of cherry here. I may have wasted my money and time. Comments?

Comments (6)

• Beeone
    16 years ago

Carmine Jewel is a new bush type pie cherry developed by the Univ. of Saskatchewan. One of its traits is excellent cold hardiness. You might be a little out of its range (on the warm side), but it is always fun to experiment! Because it is so new, it would be quite interesting to see how it does in a warmer, moister climate as it may not have been tested anywhere near your zone.

The following link will provide more information:

http://dnagardens.com/catalogue.htm#Evans

Please remember that even though these cherries are often called "sour" cherries, they are sour due to their high citric acid (Vitamin C) content. They will have as much or more sugar in them as the sweet cherries such as Bing. When ripe, sour cherries are still delicious to eat fresh off the tree, a bit like drinking Mello Yellow or Squirt pop or sweet-tart candies--both sweet and tart at the same time, which I think enhances the flavor.

• murkwell
    16 years ago

I'm pretty sure vitamin C is ascorbic acid.

I am intrigued by the comment that sour cherries have more sugar than the sweets. I'd never heard that before and haven't had much occasion to eat them fresh. I'll have to try some.

• alan8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

beeone-thanks for the link and info. I'll let everyone know how it does here but that may take a while since the tree is about the size of a pencil right now. Does anyone know of a dwaft cherry more suitable for South Alabama or is there such a variety? It seems to me that since I can grow apples, kumkwats, tangarine, lemon, etc., that cherry would not be such a stretch. But NOBODY I know here has ever grown cherry trees.

• Beeone
    16 years ago

You're right, Murky--Vitamin C is ascorbic acid.

S. Alabama is so far removed from my climate in both temperature and moisture I don't know what a person might recommend for a variety. In my limited range of experience with cherry varieties, many are naturally smaller trees, not getting over 10-12 feet high, and they can be kept pruned to a smaller size when desired (and don't fertilize after establishment to help reduce vigor). Hopefully some other readers closer to your zone will post their experiences with cherries and check with your local ag. extension agent or check their web site for info. You can get some really good information from both garden web and the extension service.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

If there is a limiting deficiency on a soil the tree will probably need fertilizing for that later in life, as well as at planting. If fertilizing is producing excessive growth the fertilizing should be modified, rather than eliminated. Sample soil and have it tested to see what situation on a particular planting site might be (it varies, there are many different kinds of soils with some properties having more than one).

• marina_m
    16 years ago

I bought one of these from Gurney's too. The link I am providing gives a largish amount of information on this cherry.

I, too, am interested in finding out how well it does in my area (Northern California inland coastal valley). In theory, my area gets enough chilling hours for cherries in general (1,235 hours below 45°F and 997 hours between 32° and 45°F), but I don't know what a very cold-hardy cherry might require.

Your best bet in finding out how well cherries will do in your area is to contact your local USDA office.

Here is a link that might be useful: DNA Gardens' Carmine Jewel page