Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
konrad___far_north

Some fast grafting!

Love this video with music....almost got dizzy watching!

Here is a link that might be useful: Grafting

Comments (14)

• nyRockFarmer
    9 years ago

Yeah, there are a few out there. In this one budding video they use Okulette budding ties to speed up the process.

http://www.dalen-hofman.eu/okulette-oculatie-rubber/

Here is a link that might be useful: T-Budding Video

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

Konrad and rockfarmer...thank you for the awesome videos. I thought I had seen all of them on the tube...missed these and they were both great. I watch these and it makes me think of the many threads here on sterilizing tools and whatnot and it tells me just how insignificant much of that is. I still do all that stuff. but only because my one single graft (or a few) are more important to me (as an individual) than the many thousands these folks are doing. I'm not sure how long I could keep up that pace before needing a trip to the ER for some sewing work.

I have watched thousands of these flicks and for some odd reason am drawn to them something fierce. Could I share with you a video of a guy I've watched for a long time? He is in Washington state and has mostly Mexican help and is really a fascinating individual. He has zillions of vids and only about maybe 30 or so about grafting, but his work ethic and just crazy happiness is very addictive. Everyone in truth wants to live much like this chap. Be sure to visit his channel as he has lots of good vids with information I've never seen or read anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S_VCkYd-U8&list=UUnG9hkTMMYj2PEvt8vks53g&index=573

And another I know you'll all like on interstem grafting. Pay attention near the end...he talks about a method unfamiliar (or was) to me at least, I found it very interesting and I'm sure you will too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iTZLwOUMKs&index=194&list=UUnG9hkTMMYj2PEvt8vks53g

• cousinfloyd
    9 years ago

That first video has me wondering how long bare-root trees/rootstocks can be left in the open air without the roots drying out to the point of irreversible damage. The video was apparently taken in the Netherlands in the winter, and there was one guy in the background in a short sleeve shirt, so I'm assuming it must have been a heated space, but perhaps there was a humidifier keeping the humidity up. What about under normal circumstances, though, particularly outdoors? (Maybe I should have started a new thread.)

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

cousinfloyd: I was thinking the same as you about the roots drying out. That is just another issue that we talk/think a lot about and probably (obviously) take a bit too seriously. You see the same thing when young trees are being harvested bare root, little attention is given to roots drying out. At least that is until they are being put in storage. When I plant mine I try remove them directly from a bucket of water and immediately into the soil and get dirt on them. Then...water quickly.
    It seems I've placed more importance on this than is warranted, same goes for tool sterilization etc.

• 2010champsbcs
    9 years ago

That fellow is almost as fast as I am. Ha Ha. The most amazing thing is that he still has all of his fingers.

• thecityman, Zone 7a/6b near Nashville
    9 years ago

Thanks for those awesome videos. I have always wondered how in the world commercial orchards are able to graft trees in high volume. It takes me (a newbie with no experience) almost 10 minutes to do a graft as I slowly work and try to get things perfect and eyeball it from all angles and so on. While I knew that someone with experience could obviously do it much faster (and better), I had no idea they could be this fast. Also, as Appleseed said, I always dip my knife in bleach water, so its interesting to see these folks taking some short cuts like that. May I ask 2 quick questions?

1.) What is the name of the grafting technique used in the first video where he makes the main angled cut and then a back cut on the opposite side?

2.) On the T-bud grafting video, are those trees just going to have 2 (or more) different kinds of fruit on the same tree, or will they probably cut the whole top of the rootstock tree off later right above the bud graft and allow the bud to become the new tree from that point on?

(Please understand I'm new to this and forgive my uninformed questions! Thanks.)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

1. That's whip and tongue. I good graft for wood pencil size but not big scion wood.

2. The rootstock is cut off above the inserted bud. That single bud becomes the new tree.

• thecityman, Zone 7a/6b near Nashville
    9 years ago

Thank-you very much, fruitnut, that perfectly answered my questions and curiosity. I learn so much from this forum and the helpful experts like you here.

• olpea
    9 years ago

" You see the same thing when young trees are being harvested bare root, little attention is given to roots drying out."

Apple,

Like you and Cousin, I think most roots will tolerate quite a bit of drying out. For tree fruit nurseries, trees are dug up in the fall and stored in controlled humidity storage all winter w/ no water. I've even heard of nurseries storing trees in cold storage for two years (because they didn't sell). Admittedly they had some problems w/ these trees, but I suspect it was due to the length of time in storage, not the storage conditions (two years is a long time to stay dormant).

I never soak roots before planting (I doubt few commercial growers do). I've received blackberries shipped w/ no packing whatever (roots bone dry) and they did fine.

Some roots are very sensitive to sunlight. I try to be alert to that when planting. I've read bramble roots are very sensitive to UV light, so I've been careful to keep those roots blocked to sunlight while planting (I mean the ones in the box while I'm planting others.)

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all and for adding more stuff!

Here is another one, [budding] think from Switzerland, the guy who is making the video is Swiss, Markus Kobelt from Lubera, [Breeder]

Here is a link that might be useful: Grafting/budding

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

Good flick...he sure makes it look easy. He'd sure laugh at me with all my fiddling, primping and prodding about for a single graft.
    Like I say it looks easy but after about an hour or so of that I bet you'd start feeling it in the back. Like anything else I guess you get used to it.

• mrsg47
    9 years ago

Wow, Konrad you've done it again! What a great and fascinating video. It was very easy to get dizzy. The video also gave me confidence in being more deliberate with my cuts and not so cautious and slow.

What? No pictures of moose, deer or wolves this year? Are your cameras still in the trees? thanks for the video, Mrs. G

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all!
    Mrs. G
    I only have one camera out due to very low activity,...only one white tail deer with offspring... same with a moose and maybe a yote..will post some a bit later, perhaps in a new thread,..2015 Orchard pictures.

• bear_with_me
    9 years ago

These experienced grafters make it look so easy! And here I've been so pleased with myself grafting a dozen or so. I'll never be that quick or skilled, but it's a lot of fun to see them do it!

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company