Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafting crab apple onto regular apple

Posted by jbclem z9b Topanga, Ca (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 22, 08 at 22:33

For pollinating purposes, is it possible to graft crab apple onto regular apple trees?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafting crab apple onto regular apple

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 22, 08 at 23:52

I've heard that is a common orchard practice and that crabapples are especially good pollen sources.

Apples are very easy to graft.

o

My "grafting mentor" has a nice crab grafted to the same tree that supports some dozens of varieties and it has done well for many years now.

o

Commercially, the Crabs are grafted onto dwarf rootstocks on separate trees. There can be some disease issues putting multiple grafts onto one tree, especially virus.
Once you graft a virus infected scion to the tree, it goes into the rest of the tree.
I would not graft crab apple onto standard for pollen. Plant it next to your regular apple on a dwarf rootstock.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here