Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindsgarden

Jujube pollination and varieties

lindsgarden
12 years ago

All,

I do not know much about jujubes except that people seem to rave about "Sugarcane" and "Honey Jar", will these two varieties pollinate each other?

Also, please recommend exceptional varieties for Maryland :)

Thanks!

Comments (123)

• jianhuayegreentree
    7 years ago

Layne, I use cleft grafting. I usually do it when it is budding.

• Tony
    7 years ago

Jian,

Can you take a photo of your girdled jujube trees again. I just wanted to see how the scars healed up. I may do one jujube tree for an experiment this spring.

Tony

• jianhuayegreentree
    7 years ago

Tony,

Sure. I will post some photos here later.

Jianhua

• layne_nova
    7 years ago

Jianhua, thanks for your response. Is there a way to send you email? Not sure how in the new Huzz site.

I may have a few more questions and may try grafting too. Have a Li 3 years flowing yearly yet to fruit.

• jianhuayegreentree
    7 years ago

layne, I add you as my following. You do the same and then you can send me private message.

• layne_nova
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Li jujube · More Info
    Jianhua, see photo of the Li jujube. Thanks

• jianhuayegreentree
    7 years ago

Layne,

You need to learn how to prune the tree to encourage growing lateral branches. Trim the center leader so it will not grow too tall each year. Your tree is still young but should be able to bear fruit. Try the 'ring' cut technology that I posted here and you should be able to have a harvest.

• jianhuayegreentree
    7 years ago

• jianhuayegreentree
    7 years ago

• jianhuayegreentree
    7 years ago

• jianhuayegreentree
    7 years ago

Tony, I have posted two girdled jujube trees here. The last year's cut is easy to see but the previous two years are almost gone. Another photo shows how I trimmed my tree.

• layne_nova
    7 years ago

Your tree is very well branched...nice job.

• Tony
    7 years ago

Jian,

What is the best time to do the girdling? When the tree leafed out or wait until bloom time,?

Tony

• jianhuayegreentree
    7 years ago

Tony, I do it when it's in peak blooming and a few to show tiny baby jujube.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

I planted 2 Honey Jar Jujubee trees in pots at beginning of March this year, but there is no growth on them. Do you have buds/leaves on your jujubee trees? What should I do to make them grow?

• jianhuayegreentree
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

summersrhythm_z6a, I bought 5 barefoot jujube for my friends and they all shoot leaf out now. They all planted in the ground. You can give yours a few weeks as jujube may slow to bud. See if you notice the bud is swelling.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

Thanks for letting me know. They might hate growing in pots.

• eastmeetwest
    6 years ago

It can take a month or more for a bare root jujube to start showing little green/a sign of life.

It likes sun and warm soil. Where do you keep your pot?

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

The pots are on the deck facing south (full sun). We are having a warm spring here, no snow so far.

• quicng
    6 years ago

I have a few jujube trees such as Li, Shanshi Li, Lang, GA866, Sherwood, Sugar Cane growing in second seasons in Houston area. Only the Sugar Cane is growing well but fews fruits. Any successful jujube grower in my area and what variety are they? Thanks

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

I think Jujube trees need winter chill to have blooms to set fruit. This is what I learned about Jujube trees online. :-) The experienced growers here can correct me.

• Tony
    6 years ago

I hand pollinated my Jujube this year with the wild Jujube flowers from a rootstock plus the winds and insects help with lots of fruit set.

Tony

• Danny B
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hello all,

I just got my jujube tree planted last year. It' the GA866 variety. No fruit yet but I'm hopeful. If someone has jujube scion wood that they can spare, please send them to me. I'll compensate for the shipping cost. Thanks. I also have fig scion wood that I can send out in exchange. Fig scion wood can easily roots. Have a good day.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

Where did you find GA866? I’d like to grow one in a pot. I know GA866 is a warmer zone jujube.

• Danny B
    5 years ago

I bought it from Willis Orchard Co. Here is the link. https://www.willisorchards.com/ 

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

Thanks! :-)

• Kevin Reilly
    5 years ago

Did you read this thread regarding ga866? You might want to order another variety

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

Oh thanks. I didn’t read all the posts here. Will have to check out the posts about GA 866.

• Huyen Linh Ho
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Anyone have GA866 scionwood for trade? I have some different rare types of persimmon and honey jar jujube, my other types of jujube like sugar cane and Shanxili are still too small to trim.

• Huyen Linh Ho
    4 years ago

I got all the scion-woods I needed. I would like to thank Bob Hawking for his kindness.

• omray
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I've had jujubees for years. They died back each year and I think the ebay seller didn't really sell me honey jar, and they were too small for me to have planted outdoors in zone 6b. Looking on the internet I find really high prices on honey . Any advice?

• omray
    4 years ago

Or, anyone willing to sell me a honey jar plants and compatible cultivar? I can also trade cuttings or seeds of unique fruiting plants: hardy kiwi, wineberry, black raspberry, mayapple, pokeberry, sandcherry, ......

• omray
    4 years ago

What are the earliest fruiting cultivars that are compatible with Honey jar? Coco?

• nmfruit
    4 years ago

I’m not aware of any early fruiting cultivars per se, but I think you can assume the smaller sized fruit will mature sooner. I definitely find that my sugarcane fruit ripens before that of Li. Jujubes are nearly always expensive since they grow very slowly when young and take much longer to reach saleable size than other fruit trees. I have seen them for sale at my local Home Depot the last couple years for $50. I paid over $100 a number of years ago for my large (15 gallon) Li trees from a local nursery. But I bought my sugarcane from Burnt Ridge Nursery which I highly recommend. It was impressive in size, comparable to a 5 gallon size tree for around $30. In terms of pollination, all varieties should be compatible, and any named variety should be worth growing. I love both my sugarcane and li.

I live in zone 6 and have never had any dieback.

• ichoudhury
    4 years ago

Hi Tony, I tried Hand Pollination now twice including this year but only seeing one or two germinate. Maybe I’m approaching incorrectly. I think I’m able to distinguish between male/female flowers but never detect any signs of pollens. Perhaps I’m approaching it bit late? I’m hardly seeing any pollination helpers around since they are flowering earlier than their arrival , so plan to plant some earlier blooming flowers next year to see if any difference. I have Li, Lang, sugarcane, Honeyjar, Tiger Tooth (all had bloom around the same tim)

• omray
    4 years ago

Thank you for your reply. Burnt Ridge Nursery does show a picture of a jujube tree, but it does not have a linked to order them. Hopefully they will supply them again. Usually websites don't do it that way, but we'll list out of stock if they're not carrying something. I will email them to find out if they plan to carry Honey Jar. I wonder what their shipping is like. I'll ask that too.

• darby42164
    4 years ago

Long time lurker and decided to add to the Jujube conversation. First I am in Texas in the DFW area. I have three Jujube varieties, two were planted 4-5 years ago (Li and GA866) and planted this year a Sugar Cane. I had planted GA866 before I had read of issues with fruit production. Last year was the first year for Li and GA866 to bear for me. At least here in Texas GA866 is growing well and bearing quite well, and so far more so than Li. The GA866 tree is about 12 feet tall (started as a 2-3 ft plant from an online nursery). Right now GA866 I have maybe 40 fruit this year and about 5 last year (its first year of fruiting). The taste is excellent and very sweet. Li has produced about 6 fruit this year and 2 last year (its first year fruiting) and the fruit are good but not as sweet as GA866. Li is about 15 feet but would be much taller as I pruned the top as it tends to grow more cylindrical compared to GA866 which has more of a canopy. Sugar Cane is growing great but this is its first year and is 5ft tall. The trees are in full sun, mediocre soil (no gumbo clay where I am) and I water once a week when it is really hot and no rain. They are thriving. Maybe the Texas heat (average 95-100 degrees over the summer) is making the GA866 really happy. Since we Texans have issues growing things due to the heat I thought I would share my experience. Trying a Che tree this year but is not growing much to see how it goes. Apples, no luck. Pineapple guavas are growing great and have been bearing well for years now. If people from Texas have suggestions for other fruit, even exotics that can grow hear let me know. I already have plums, pluots, peaches, pluerries, Juneberries, Paw Paws, Fig, Muscadine grapes love it here. Would really like to get an Auburn U. yellow kiwi but can't find a source, the other yellows are not great for Texas I am told. Sorry to get a little off topic.

• SM Iyer
    4 years ago

Hello darby42164,

Would you mind sending some cuttings of GA866 so that i can graft with my Li. Its been 4 years and lot of flowers, but no fruit set yet. I got 2 Lang scions. If i could GA866 scions, then I can try grafting all and see my luck. I dont have bigger yard to plant additional trees. So grafting is my best bet. Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

• SM Iyer
    4 years ago

If anyone having Jujube scions to offer/send, I would be very thankful. I can pay the shipping.

• AJBB
    4 years ago

Darby42164, try loquat.

• Suresh Kumar
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Have a sugarcane jujube and no fruit in the second year. It has lots of flowers but they are not setting fruit. Can anyone share a scion of any sweet jujube variety you have?

@jianhuayegreentree can you send me some scions? TIA.

• SasW
    3 years ago

When this tree is young it does not bear much. My other trees are small, but if sweet is what you're looking for, then you have one of the best tasting varieties and don't really need anything else. It will take about five to seven years before you get a nice amount of fruit. The tree needs to get established and is slow growing. Just protect it from rabbits etc. Having any another variety would help pollination.

The fruit quality will get better and in a few years you'll be happy you have this one. Just give it about a gallon of water per day during the hot season.

• Suresh Kumar
    3 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I live in the Bay area and it does not get that hot in my area. The tree has grown a little bit this season since we put them on the ground. Hope they fruit soon. Thanks.

Looking for scions to graft or will get another tree for pollination.

• Peter Vong
    2 years ago

I am looking for Tigertooth jujube scionwood. I have GA866 and Sherwood jujube trees. I pruned my jujube trees already so I do not have any scionwood available for trade. Do you know any one selling 3 Tigertooth scion wood ? I could purchase them on eBay or Etsy if they list it for sell.

• eloise_ca
    2 years ago

Been searching, but haven't found an answer. My Li has two large branches, one has hundreds of small olive-size fruit, the other has about 1 1/2-2" size fruit. Is the small fruit branch from the rootstock, and should I cut it out?

• ichoudhury
    2 years ago

Isn't your Graft Union pretty pronounced/ .Anything growing in the Root stalk area would be the unwanted tree vs one off of the Cyan part of it? But if I'm not misreading, you are suggesting two branches that is growing from the Cyan part has two different shape fruits? I am curious if this is due to the growth of the overall tree? I notice that in Japanese Maple Graft where top grafted part would display leaves similar to that of the root stalk shape, but over time it transition into its correct form (graft I intended). Just thinking out loud.

• Eloise Luera
    2 years ago

Thanks for responding ichoudhury. I couldn't see where the graft was as there's plants all around the tree. I will try to move some of the plants around it and check it out better tomorrow.

• eloise_ca
    2 years ago

Couldn't tell where the graft was unless it's buried. Both branches start at ground ievel, and are the same thickness. Will eventually cut off branch with the hundreds of small fruit.

• jianhuayegreentree
    2 years ago

A picture would show what the difference. Small olive sized definitly not li jujube.

• eloise_ca
    2 years ago

Whew, hadn't posted photos here in many years! These are in reverse order, but they'll do. Photo 1 is fruit from both branches. The small ones also taste like jujube. Photo 2 is the branch (left side) with larger, regular fruit. First I thought this was the graft. Photo 3 shows left side branch that grew larger fruit; right side is branch with small fruit.