Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pollination of loquat

Posted by va_canuck 8A (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 9, 10 at 22:47

I have a 10-foot tall loquat tree which is planted in the ground and contained within a greenhouse in my yard. It is flowering for the first time!

I have read loquats require pollination by bees. If so, I may have a problem, as there are no bees in my greenhouse.

Am I going to get fruit? Or do I need to go to bees-r-us.com?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pollination of loquat

• Posted by jekyll New Zealand (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 10, 10 at 5:26

It will probably depend on two things:
1) whether your variety is self-fertile or not, because some loquats require another variety to pollinate them

2) whether you have other insects that might do the job. I have adequate pollination in my garden without honeybees, because I have lots of bumblebees and various types of fly.

If you don't have pollinating insects at all, you may want to try brushing pollen around the flowers with a paintbrush.

o

I don't have first hand experience with this technique to say how successful it is, but if paintbrush pollination blossum by blossom is not a method you would consider, then you might try giving the tree a good shake every few days to simulate wind pollination.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 10, 10 at 12:39

Any hummingbirds? Those go for them in Seattle. There is a California species that has extended its range northward, is present during winter when the loquat trees bloom.

If there is ever a time when the greenhouse is being opened up for ventilation at the same time the tree is in bloom - and pollinators are present - these are likely to let themselves in.

o

There won't be any ventilation times any time soon. We are in consistent 38 day/18 night conditions.

There are fruit flies in the greenhouse but that's about it.

No hummingbirds in the greenhouse.

o

I had two big ones in the greenhouse that I pollinated by hand and I got a big crop. Use a paint brush and move from one flower to the next.

Bass

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here